Best Internet security

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiZcO

In Runtime
I just got a virus that wiped my hdd in a matter of minutes was running avast. Haven't reformatted in over a yr so this was a good time to do so my question is what's a good IS to use?

MSE is one of the higher rated AV Apps out there now. It has been ranked right up there with the other top dogs. The problem is that any AV runs on definitions, so any new Aero-Day infection that comes out is not protected against. Since there is no definition to block that infection at the time of release, there is no AV app out there that can protect you against such infections.

An AV app is only as good as the person using it. If you go to shady corners of the internet, you cant rely on your AV app to protect you. The reason is that you never know what is on these sites. It is quite easily that these sites contain an infection that can get around one or all security apps out there and cause destruction like the one you got did. So your best defense is to use a combination. Use something like Avast, MSE or AVG in conjunction with something like MBAM to try and stave off most infections. If you are going to go to more untrusted sites on the internet, use a more secure browser.

Something like Firefox with the FlashBlock, Ad Block and NoScript extensions. Chrome with its similar extensions or even Opera that has a combination of similar extensions. That way you block just about everything the site can throw at you and stay protected. Using Sites like Facebook, never click any link. Install something like WOT (Web of Trust) or McAfee Site Advisor or the AVG Site Advisor to stay protected. They will tell you how other users rate such sites.

The most important lesson is to backup regularly. That is a lesson that is hard learned.

MSE is one of the higher rated AV Apps out there now. It has been ranked right up there with the other top dogs. The problem is that any AV runs on definitions, so any new Aero-Day infection that comes out is not protected against. Since there is no definition to block that infection at the time of release, there is no AV app out there that can protect you against such infections.

An AV app is only as good as the person using it. If you go to shady corners of the internet, you cant rely on your AV app to protect you. The reason is that you never know what is on these sites. It is quite easily that these sites contain an infection that can get around one or all security apps out there and cause destruction like the one you got did. So your best defense is to use a combination. Use something like Avast, MSE or AVG in conjunction with something like MBAM to try and stave off most infections. If you are going to go to more untrusted sites on the internet, use a more secure browser.

Something like Firefox with the FlashBlock, Ad Block and NoScript extensions. Chrome with its similar extensions or even Opera that has a combination of similar extensions. That way you block just about everything the site can throw at you and stay protected. Using Sites like Facebook, never click any link. Install something like WOT (Web of Trust) or McAfee Site Advisor or the AVG Site Advisor to stay protected. They will tell you how other users rate such sites.

The most important lesson is to backup regularly. That is a lesson that is hard learned.

yeah thanks, ive just NEVER seen a virus like the one i just got... it had fake ani virus pop up and clutter my desktop with boxes then it restarts it comes back and my whole Desktop is wiped out and my external with over 900GB HDD is wiped also... i felt like crying

Yeah those fake AV ones are deadly. They have caused me much trouble. I am sorry for the loss of your data. You might be able to get some of it back using Recuva, but there is no guarantee.

Yeah those fake AV ones are deadly. They have caused me much trouble. I am sorry for the loss of your data. You might be able to get some of it back using Recuva, but there is no guarantee.

Yeah weird thing is.. i just went to a website which i always go to then Avast detected it and less then 10 secounds everything was popping up to no end where i couldn't even do anything couldn't even run any virus scans.. malware got deleted asap and everything locked up. but using the IS program you guys suggested it seems to be good for free heh as always thanks for the help.

I like superantispyware on a mobile device when my computer acts up, and for constant protection NOD32 ESET :-D

of course a good ol' winaso reg- opt helps.

back in the day a highly underrated one was xoftspy.. i still like it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom