Best Antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, there is no "BEST". Every single one of these programs can detect something the others cant.

It all boils down to:
Definitions - able to detect the latest and greatest
Removal - able to remove

You want a program that can remove it, not just detect it. Norton is big on this.

You don't want just an AV, you want an all around scanner, virus, spyware, malware, rootkits, etc. While not one program on this list can remove everything or even detect everything, you will need too, at some point and time install other removal applications. If there was a program that could do everything, I wouldn't have so many programs listed in my guide.

Look at it this way, Virus writers are always one step ahead of the good guys, ALWAYS. They look for exploits, vulns, etc that are not yet patched, and take advantage of it. Otherwise there would be no reason to have an AV or any other scanner.

If you ask 1000 people what the best AV is, you will get 1000 different answers. Use what you like, get familiar with it, test it, beat it up, etc etc etc.

Use what is BEST in your mind. You will then learn if it really is that great or not. So many people wouldn't be using AVG if it didn't work, but I'm sure some use it "just because". I use it 100%, even on my servers at work. While all the other servers in the ORG use SAV.

Is that good enough for you?

okay, how about this, Top Ten Reviews gave out the following as a list of the "best" antivirus programs you can have, as based on West Coast Labs Tests .

AntiVirus Software Review 2009 - TopTenREVIEWS

1. BitDefender
2. Kaspersky
3. Webroot
4. G DATA
5. ESET NOD32
6. Paretologic
7. AVG
8. Vipre
9. F-Secure
10. Trend Micro

Similarly, PC World's List of Security Suites (AV plus firewall and other stuff) goes like, as based on AV-TEST.org's results:

Chart - Top Internet Security Suites - PC World

1. Norton/Symantec IS
2. BitDefender IS
3. Panda IS
4. McAfee IS
5. Avira PS
6. Kaspersky IS
7. F-Secure
8. Webroot
9. Trend Micro

Whatever list you may want to believe, AVs rated by AVC are graded, not ranked with results like these:

In no particular order

ADVANCED Detection: Kaspersky, BitDefender, ESET, AVAST, AVIRA, and some other lesser known AVs

Surprisingly, crowd favorite AVG only scored STANDARD...

Personally, I use BitDefender Total Security, since it is one of the best AVs according to reviews, works real good in my experience, and I feel secure using it.

But from your given choices, and from my own opinion, get Kaspersky AV, and partner it with a real good firewall...Also, when you meant hardcore evidence, it would be difficult considering that independent labs have different zoos for testing...

I would definitely be cautious of the list from pcworld.

Mcafee and Norton are both advertisers in PC World.

There is no way Norton is the best security suite.

hmmmmm......I like Osiris's Idea:p.....So heres what Ive come up with after reading the replies and the liks:

I think I'll go with Kaspersky Antivirus 2009 for now.......And with COMODO firewall for the internet, Last question .......Today my school asked me to setup a network on all the computers dare.....I kinda connected them all and then Scanned all the Network drives wit kaspersky......But I got like more than a billion virisus from all computers hooked up to the network. So I began thinking...Is there a really strong antivirus for a whole server of the school.........LIKE a SERVER antivirus???

In a server situation as much as I hate to admit it I have always used Norton Corporate edition.

this route is expensive as you do have to pay for any server antivirus and you have to pay for each client license as well.

Another option in the server route is to use Avaston the server and the free antivirus of choice on the workstations.

these are options for Windows server products.

I use AVG Network Edition on my servers and 2 desktops, mine and a test user. This last round on viruses, clampi, conficker, well I have one server on SAV 10 which happens to be our AD Server that I have no way of controlling what goes on there. When it came around AVG detected and quarantined it till the new removal defs came out, then it deleted it. The server with SAV on it, was never able to remove for a long time, too long for me. I knew I could scan it with AVG and clean it but I just wanted to see how long it to SAV to deploy proper removal defs. After about a week, it finally came out. The thing is, I cant change the mind of our Admins on the Global Level. They say with SAV. They seen that I had AVG on my servers and told me to remove it and install the company standard. Well the company standard is not good enough and I showed my boss how effective AVG is and ineffective SAV is. We can't take a regular chance of infection using SAV on our 6 SAP servers, but we can take the rare chance on being infected using AVG.

At least AVG was able to detect and quarantine the virus and thats it till the new defs came out.

SAV on the other hand, detected it, but thats it, Access Denied, etc etc. And it kept bugging you about it. Very unproductive antivirus.

So you are setting up a Network, can you tell me how you are going about it? Is it a real network or just a school project?

What do you mean you "kinda" connected them all?

Are u guys SERIOUS:eek:........NOTRON is like the most untrustable commercial antivirus around:confused:..............................Hmmmmm:freak:.........IDK........Guess I'll have to do a little digging my self:p.....thanx for the help guys....appriciate it:D

And to Osiris.......I kinda connecected them as in....I got a lot of help from my IT teacher......So u guys he also deserves some credit:p......Actually he and I were arguing about kaspersky and mcafee and which one to choose......The network's been setup:p....its a real one:D.....but there were some old server PCS lying around so we connected them too and made them the main school server.....now all pcs are connected to the server.....Previously the place didn't have a network setup but with the expansion of the school the network is finally beginning to take shape:D.....Ad I'm guessing SAV=Symantic??

PC World is a Norton kiss-up. They get paid off by Symantec.

Anyway. I've tried nearly every antivirus under the sun over the years. The one I keep coming back to is AVG for a free solution.

Avira is okay for a second free solution. It's a bit more "foolproof" than AVG if you ask me. We used to put it on client's machines that were a little more computer dumb than the average end user.

NOD32 is the best hands down, but it costs money. If you don't mind spending money, NOD32 all the way. Otherwise, AVG Free is the best from my experiences.

BIG no no's from my experience are Norton, McAfee, Panda, Webroot. Avast is annoying since it pops up warnings from EVERYTHING. Even if it's not a virus...but it's still okay. AVG works better though.

A little known, but still decent AV is Twister AV. But it's too expensive to considering it right now. NOD32 is better.

BitDefender total security has a network solution integrated into it, but as i have never used that part of my current AV software, I cannot vouch for it 100%. However, looking at it's tab, all it says is that "The computer is not connected to a network", with options for creating a network.

maybe someone knows about this? but I just threw this in the air because I find BD as a very good AV and is about half the price of Kaspersky and Norton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom