AVG has too many services now, need a new antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

provoko

Baseband Member
Well I found out today that the newest update for avg free 7 wanted avgupsvc.exe to stay on to receive the next update successfully, if not, then avg stops working and says to reinstall it.

Not only that but the two services that start up have been taking up so much memory lately.

In total:
avgamsvr.exe 14 megs
avgcc.exe 18 megs
avgupsvc.exe 2 megs

total 34 megs

Compared to the previous version which only had 5-10megs in memory and never needed an update service on.

It was fun while it lasted, having AVG antivirus for 2 years, but now I have to decide whether to switch to something better that uses less memory or just stick with this.

What does everyone think, should I stick with AVG or is there actually something better?

Albatron KX18D Pro 1.06 bios
Antec PSU SL350
Windows XP SP2

I like the new version, I use it on one of my laptops. I comes down to personal preference.

IMO
rstones12

I use ezArmor myself.

PCcillin, by TrendMicro, is top rated. Check their site, or NewEgg.

I just tried it and it's great. 6 megs in total not including e-mail scan and firewall which I have off (don't need).

Thanks for the link too, its a year off. =)

Thanks for the suggestion.

No prob. Mine is up for renewal, and I think I'll keep it. $29.95, and I already know I can trust it.

Does anyone know if any of the AVG anti virus products can DETECT and REMOVE KEYLOGGERS ???

Cuz brother, I got the:

MOTHER OF ALL MASQUERADE KEYLOGGERS

Tried Ez Armor, but did not work for me. couldn't detect the worm 32tibick (I guess that is what it's called). As a consequence, my computer crashed. Panda, and Norton could detect the worm. Finally got rid of the worm with Panda - there were 146 files infected. Apparently this worms replicate itself.

Am now using Norton System Works and Internet Security - doing good so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom