WHich antivirus or fire wall to use?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Baseband Member
hi
I'm quite new to this forum.When using Windows 2000/NT for LAN ,,it gets infected with viruses quite fast,and once infected tons of other come in and sort of eat up the system--svchost , Blasterworm are some of the types which could be identify..i have tried Mcafee, Norton,, Sygate firewall and all those stuff,, but couldn't find any possible.Does using AV and firewalls on the server itself protect the other systems or do we have to install AV on all systems.Which is the best or most convenient AV to use???Should both firewalls and antivirus be installed,,,what purpose does firewalls actually serve-- only blocking data from unrecognisable sources or so???.. Plz hlp:confused:

we use trend micro's office scan here at work. We were using CA's InoculateIT and also have used Norton's AV. Trend Micro found viruses that the other two didnt. Also, it cant be terminated without having to input a password.

personally i dont like firewalls. however, i'd say that sygate's firewall is the most user-friendly that ive seen

however, i'd say that sygate's firewall is the most user-friendly that ive seen

And I would have to disagree cause it annoyed the bejeebers out of me wanting me to upgrade to the paid version and *I* didn't want to. Whereas, Zone Alarm left me alone as to upgrading.

but couldn't find any possible.Does using AV and firewalls on the server itself protect the other systems or do we have to install AV on all systems.

You need an A/V and Firewall on EACH and EVERY computer...having one on the server JUST protects the server itself.

As to which one is best...the BEST A/V is NOD32 according to this:
Virus Bulletin Liz

For work systems, Free A/V's aren't a possibility. As far as firewall's are concerned. IF you are in a work environment, Free is also not an option so Sygate is also a GOOD option there. Liz

You should have both, but a router also helps hide you from possible from attacks. On my server i have AVG AV and Windows xp firewall. Another AV procedure is to get as many update as you can find. MS has came out with many hotfixes to stop certain viruses. If you don't XP just use zone alarm. It works well. You could always have a firewall setup at the gateway, that is the best way in my opinion. This can be done with open source, but I have never done this.

If you are purchasing for a work environment it may be wise to look at security suites such as Norton Internet security, trend micro internet security, Zone alarm internet security etc. etc.

All are available here if you are looking for a source.

They have a greater value and tend to work better than mixing and matching .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom