.zip file hosting, downloading, and other security questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshall5

Baseband Member
At my college, there are a few firewall restrictions on file downloads...but I have found that some files/programs will indeed download and install if done correctly.

I haven't quite got it figured out (how their firewall is setup that is, or for that matter their network security properties), but I know if I download via an email link I recieve, as long as it gives the option to RUN or SAVE, I can download .zip files by choosing RUN. If I choose to save, it gives me the "feature disabled by admin..." message. So I'll then choose RUN and when finished downloading, I can then save the opening program to the TEMP file which is apparently the only file unprotected, although I can view all contained drive files at that point.

Once I get that far, I can go about the program installation in a normal manner, and everything works out. When I'm done using the program, I just uninstall.

So far, this process (download and run .zip file through my email) is the only way I have been able to successfully download and install a program. Although I can save other files like .jpgs and mpegs to the desktop (weird).

I really only have a few programs I need to use while at school, one is an aerodynamic simulation program which sends me the free DL link via email from their site.

Soo....in conclusion, I'm thinking if I compress the programs I need at home in .zip format, I might be able to email myself a link to repeat the process. Problem is, most programs are too large (even when compressed I believe) to directly send to myself via say yahoo or other webmail providers.

This brings me to the hosting question...where could I possibly host a larger .zip file to link up with, and will it allow me to RUN when clicked as opposed to being denied when trying to save?

I know this is a long topic, but I'd really appreciate any help on this topic. Thanks a lot to all that can help.

use winrar to break those files up into little chunks. you have a 1mb, 100mb, 650 and 700mb option

Darn it, some programs won't install, it gives me the admin disabled message. I'll keep thinking of solutions. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom