Your experience with blogging and blogging platforms

MillField

Daemon Poster
Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of migrating my blog off of an open source blog engine and onto Jekyll, powered by GitHub Pages. I favour static websites over dynamic ones such as Squarespace or Wordpress, which is why I'm making use of open source platforms.

I was wondering if any of you currently run (or previously ran) your own blog/website, and what tech you used - just for some comparisons and insights.

Look forward to hearing about them :)

Blog-style stuff (or even stuff for clients for them to add pages easily), I've used WordPress.

For my own sites, WP for dynamic pages & content, but ASP.NET MVC self-created for dynamic data, but fairly static pages.

Yea Wordpress is really good for generally everything. I enjoy quick and high quality jobs so because thousands of developers make free themes for Wordpress I usually start with a theme that has the layout and features I'm looking for. Then I gut the styling to make it my own. (most of the time the product of my gutting is hardly even close to what the theme looked like when I first got it)

I really like responsive designs, ease of use, and clear easily understandable navigation.

Ive used Drupal quite a bit too but the Drupal UI isn't anywhere near as user friendly as Wordpress.

If you're not interested in a ton of customization options, WordPress.com is the way to go. You won't be able to add plugins, install custom themes or edit your HTML, but you will get a basic blogging platform that's free and easy to use.
The Tumblr community is also very comfortable with reposting other people's content because of Tumblr's “reblog” function. While other platforms do have some of those capabilities, that type of culture and community is what makes Tumblr special.

Back
Top Bottom