Yahoo Security Message - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Internet Software and Browsers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Yahoo Security Message

I apologize in advance in this is covered in another thread / topic or if I'm in the wrong topic.

Had a strange situation last night. Around midnight, my girlfriend received a notification on her phone that I was trying to access her yahoo email. She utilizes the yahoo app for her samsung S7. She was not at my place and I had just returned home, was tired and getting ready for bed. I do not have a screenshot of the message she received.

I know I wasn't trying to access her yahoo email so my first thought was that her account username and password were compromised but they couldn't breach her two factor authentication. What doesn't make sense to me is that she is saying the message states I was specifically trying to access when I wasn't. Without a screenshot I'm not sure about the exact message. And I'm not sure if it was referencing my name exactly or my network's name. I've already changed my home network and router but I'm looking for additional ideas as to what might have prompted this security alert.

Thank you for any help

Old 04-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Yahoo Security Message

How did she get the message? Email or prompt? If email, look at the header. Make sure it actually was sent by yahoo and not some phisher.

Maybe time to leave yahoo mail. They have been called out many times for violating user privacy and while they are reading emails they hand over whatever they don't like to law enforcement.

I haven't put yahoo in a browser since the 90's. The only reason they still exist is so Verizon can manipulate more media and sway public opinion by relying on yahoo's name recognition.

Maybe someone else in your house did it, maybe your phone has been hacked and cloned, idk. Maybe you and her should change passwords to all your email immediately. This is one case where I think two form auth may have helped.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

U.F.O,

The prompt came through her app on her phone. I've asked her to change her password out of security concerns and have already changed my wifi network SSID and password in case my network was compromised.

I live in my apartment alone save for when she's over. When I see her tonight, I'll see if I can't find that message. It might be a phishing scam
Old 04-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Yea I get a security message each time I log into google because it doesn't recognize the browser since I don't log in much. But idk yahoo but google gives you a place that shows you the ip and user agent of every login to your account, puts it on a map, shows how long the device was signed in. I look at mine every now and then and have never seen an ip that wasn't me.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks U.F.O

I need to see that message she received and verify the ip that was listed.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

My yahoo email got hacked. They always sucked. They hacked into jlandergott[at]yahoo.com. I wonder what kind of shenanigans they are pulling using my nic. Happened in the last 2-3 weeks.