wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i need to change my IP address. i unplugged my router that i use for time warner cable. but i also have linksys PCI card. what to do?

please tell me 1. where to find my computer's IP address and 2. how to change it

Why do you need to change your IP address? Your ISP gives you an IP address your router then uses DHCP to allocate you one something like 192.168.0.3.

Make sure your modem is connected to your router using an Ethernet wire. Your router should have come with a cd to get it basically setup follow those steps. Then do these:

step 1.plug your PCI card into your PCI slot inside your computer.

step 2.Install the drivers that came with the PCI card.

If it has an option to let windows configure the network settings then let it do it.

Do you have service pack 2 installed?

thanks. i read this before, and i'm a novice so it's confusing. hey, can i ask your opinion. what do you think of the tor/privoxy bundle?

anyway, as far and i'm concerned even though that thread says only the external IP is recorded, all sorts of data (cookies, etc.) can be checked if someone really wants to know who you are. :-(

Never heard of tor/privoxy bundle, so I couldn't say.

Yeah, if someone REALLY wants to know what you're up to, changing the IP won't help much. But, then, how many people are targeted by someone with that kind of know-how?

Your best bet may be to use a proxy. Do a search for it here on TF.

well what kind of know how do you need? i mean if you look at the IP address of an e-mail and it isn't the same as the one your ISP IP has given you then how hard is it?

Changing your NIC will only change your MAC address. The reason why it is a good idea to have a router inbetween your PC and your modem is because the router uses NAT (network address translation) to give you a different IP from the one given by you ISP.
The default IP for most PCs at home is dynamic, meaning that it can change between uses, and probably does. There is really no need to change your IP to a static one where you would have to change your subnet mask and default gateway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom