Why firefox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camden

In Runtime
Hey all, Just curiousity here ^_~

What makes firefox so much better than i.e., in your opinion? I'm not bashing or for either, just from what I've seen (which, admittedly, isn't much; my lappy has both, but I run i.e. by default) there isn't much of a difference. I know I'm probably wrong, there must be something that makes it so great, I've just yet to see it ;) .

The ability to customize it is the main draw for me.

That, plus it is fast and has fewer holes in it than IE.

If you are going to use Firefox, be sure to check out the many, many extensions available for it. Click Tools, Extensions, Get More Extensions. Browse around and see what sounds good to you.

If you need suggestions, just holler!

i agree with trotter.

the main draw to me also is the extensions. if you get firefox go to there web site and check out all the cool extensions they have and you will see the reason firefox is getting so popular.

Well the fact it is very customizeable is one good thing. It is also very secure compared to IE.

Camden said:
Hey all, Just curiousity here ^_~

What makes firefox so much better than i.e., in your opinion? I'm not bashing or for either, just from what I've seen (which, admittedly, isn't much; my lappy has both, but I run i.e. by default) there isn't much of a difference. I know I'm probably wrong, there must be something that makes it so great, I've just yet to see it ;) .

You are just fine running IE. They have holes and long as hackers and exploiting them, if there were no hackers, there be no holes, simple as that. FF is just a work-around for most people since presently, hackers target IE since it the most popular, but now they are starting to turn on FF. People that use IE and have problems with it that dont know how to fix it, use FF. If you take care of your system, IE will be just fine. Its just like the Camry, its the most stolen car in the US, atleast it was, so I guess that make the Corolla more safe to but just because theifs like to steal Camry's....

Re: Re: Why firefox?

Its just like the Camry, its the most stolen car in the US, atleast it was, so I guess that make the Corolla more safe to but just because theifs like to steal Camry's....

This seems to be a fallacy of false analogy. At least without further development it is.

Things that are more visible are more of a target than things which are less visible--this is evident. The superficial analogy with cars, however, does not present a strong case for the relative strength of IE vs. FF.

Example: People break into banks because they are more visible (just like Camrys). Norad is not as public. If more people knew about Norad, they would break into it.

Sorry, but this false analogy (like that comparing IE to a Camry ::chuckle::) doesn't begin to consider the myriad levels of military security built into Norad, the difference in purpose as to why someone would break into a bank vs. Norad, among other factors.

Don't get me wrong. It may very well be that FF's security is no better than IE and would fail as miserably as IE under the same conditions. But there needs to be a stronger case.

As for me, I stopped using IE in favor of Opera more than 5 years ago and haven't had problems since. Now I've shifted to FF, but I'm only interested in what works the best with what's out there on the net.

FF blocks popups nearly as well as opera, but handles CSS and plugins better than both IE and Opera. The extensions are truly cool, and tabbed browsing is adequate (though Opera's always been better there). FF still fails with gestured browsing compared to Opera, though.

FF is forcing IE to adopt some features that have been around for years in Opera and other browsers. PC Magazine reports that the next IE will have tabbed browsing among other features, but, as they said in the same article, "those of us who have started using Opera and FF moved on years ago and have never looked back."

If IE comes out with a truly superior product, I'll switch back and use that, just as I switched from using AOL to just IE and raw ISP. But I don't see this happening. Microsoft takes the philosophy that they are out to change the world and force everyone to conform to their modus operandi whereas alternative groups like whoever's behind FF and other alternatives (if they truly have a good product) work to find cutting edge improvements that augment usability while retaining compatibility with what's out there already.

Bottom Line: A new user won't notice the present superiority of FF over IE because FF has worked very hard to achieve nearly complete transparency with IE while tucking an impressive number of extensions, features, and security under the hood for slightly advanced users.

you all are bringing back the old excuses not to stay with IE. If you like FF better tha IE, than you do but dont say its because FF is safer because it isnt any safer than FF. They are all exploitable.

Warez Monster said:
you all are bringing back the old excuses not to stay with IE. If you like FF better tha IE, than you do but dont say its because FF is safer because it isnt any safer than FF. They are all exploitable.

let's just throw out the security issue, because we could argue all day about that, although i still think firefox is more secure;)

but when it comes down to it firefox comes with alot more toys to play with and ie doesn't even come close:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom