Why Browser Becoming Sluggish When Multiple Tabs Are Opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevenor

In Runtime
Whenever I tried to do a search in Google Images by right-clicking then select "Open Link in New Tab", after say about opening the 8th tab, the pop-up selection windows will not show up immediately but, instead, take a few seconds to show up. Why?

BTW, this happens whether I use Firefox or IE.

Please advise.
Thanks!

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, it's not just when opening multiple tabs that I find the browsers sluggish. I also find the browser slow to launch. Sometimes, I also can't type as fast as I can as the mouse cursor would not respond immediately but hesitated for a while before it would move. :(

There are several factors that can lead to sluggish performance on a browser. For example, computer specifications. If you have an older computer with say, 1GB of RAM or a slow processor, it will definitely take time for multiple things to launch or open.

You may also have too many things running in the background or a process/program is taking too much of the computer's resources. Check the task manager.

Another thing is junk files, cookies, malware, viruses, all that sort can slow down programs or the computer itself. Try cleaning up these type of files using programs such as CCleaner. Great for cleaning out junk and temporary files in browsers. And scan your computer for viruses, malware, etc. with software like Malwarebytes and an Anti-virus (ie; MSE, Avast, whatever you use).

Primarily you're probably looking at memory issues. For comparisons sake I currently have 12 tabs open in Chrome, each spawns a new Chrome process with more memory usage. All up I'm looking at a good few hundred MB of memory usage from that which can add up to a lot of lag if you're skirting the edge of useable memory for your system.

The most likely problem here is RAM usage. The more programs you have open at once (Including things like tabs in browsers or skype), the more RAM is taken up. When more things need RAM, less is allotted for each program. RAM makes the programs run fast, meaning that if it is taken away, the program will run slower. When having multiple tabs open, you may want to close some other things you have running. Hope this helped!

If you are curious, check out Process Hacker 2 - it's a more advanced version of the Windows Task Manager (free app) - and you will see exactly how much RAM/CPU each tab is eating up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom