What is your ISP speed?

Mine is 10 Megs down, 1.5 Megs up at home.... It comes pretty close (at work now, can't test from here).

I'd be interested to see what kind of SUSTAINED speeds everybody gets with the cable connections. With my AT&T U-Verse, (if my roomate isn't online), and I am constantly downloading/uploading, it stays rock solid at 10/1.5 for weeks on end..... Not that I do that... ;-)

I was under the impression that FiOS was an entire fiber network since it is all brand new and wouldn't rely on adapting or reusing older lines.

Hence their catch phrase "Fiber to the Home" so you are guaranteed a fiber connection from the local hub to your home. Obviously when connecting to other networks or other individuals your speeds will not be the same as they would on an isolated fiber network, though.

Their "catch phrase" is actually an industry phrase. There are other terms, all used in the industry:

Here are some examples from Wikipedia :

Fiber to the node / neighborhood (FTTN) / Fiber to the cabinet (FTTCab)
Fiber to the curb (FTTC) / Fibre to the kerb (FTTK)[1]
Fiber to the building (FTTB)
Fiber to the home (FTTH)

To be honest, I don't know about Verizon's FIOS in regards to how much is fiber, but I doubt all of it.

The bottom line is, though there really are all-fiber networks, they are such a small percentage in comparison to most of the internet's landscape. In the 1970's, there were several major companies that laid a bunch of fiber (now called "dark fiber" because it isn't being used, and now is slowly being tapped into buy some companies today, although the cost is rather high to do so.)

And yes, obviously if there are other types of connections besides fiber things will slow down. I didn't mean to point out the obvious so much as just give some clarification on fiber systems in general.

EDIT: Another point of interest - Japan has the most fiber per consumer in the world. I can't remember the number, but a rather large percentage of Japan's internet users enjoy fiber. Much higher than other countries.

Not fast enough.. ABout to switch.. Charter has a 7m service for $47/mo..

My QWest 1.5m service is $32/mo, for life.. Has been for almost 4 years now.

On my laptop with the wireless router.

Where do you live at? You're getting ripped off. I pay $29.95 (locked in price for life, as long as I don't have any late payments), for 10mb down and 1mb up through Mediacom, and I get much faster than advertised...

Hey there, my name is Brian and I'm a manager for Qwest. I ran across your post here, and am curious if I can help you with your DSL service. If I can help, please send me an e-mail to TalkToUs@Qwest.com, and put my name in the subject line.

Thanks,

B

Woke up this morning and went to go on the internet and there was a big notice on the screen.

Got a free upgrade in my service,Went from 7Mb/s up to 10Mb/s,I know its not a huge leap but its free :D

Back
Top Bottom