What is your ISP speed?

I'll just leave this right here,

472227654.png

Now watch and wait when 30k students all start to hit the net at one time, I know the network won't be able to hold up and still deliver that speed to you.

Moving out in 2 days, and have never had a single problem.
Sure it's probably not always that fast, but it's a heck of a lot better than what I'll have at home in a few days.

Plus, most of my time online is in the wee hours of the morning.

Never had a buffering problem on streaming videos
Have used my comp as a hub and server for different things with exceptional results
Host wc3 games and everyone says it's amazing
Download large files extremely fast, at least compared to what I was used to before this year

etc

I am sure there is a cap on you somewhere, heck at my speeds, I don't see any issues, and I host 6 games of ITT at a time with 12 players each :p Then on top of that I do youtube vids most the day.

Advertised are 10mbps down and 1 up. Not bad for $29.95 a month. This is a cable connection, so not always the best unfortunately. Took me only 20-25 seconds to download 160mb yesterday, now it took me 1 minute to download 2mb...

369835665.png

I am sure there is a cap on you somewhere, heck at my speeds, I don't see any issues, and I host 6 games of ITT at a time with 12 players each :p Then on top of that I do youtube vids most the day.

yeah it doesn't go that fast, so there's definitely a cap, but still pretty fast.

Yes, but from what I have read about fiber optic systems, that MOST fiber systems have other components tied in, other types of cable, not just fiber. There are NOT many truly all-fiber systems in the US.

I know this because I did an extensive research project on it for school, I also work with it almost every day, and unless you are on an all fiber network, you can get some bottlenecks just like any other type of network. The "weakest link" thing, meaning if you have fiber connecting with a T1 line somewhere it is still going to slow down to the T1 speed at that point, for example.

I was under the impression that FiOS was an entire fiber network since it is all brand new and wouldn't rely on adapting or reusing older lines.

Hence their catch phrase "Fiber to the Home" so you are guaranteed a fiber connection from the local hub to your home. Obviously when connecting to other networks or other individuals your speeds will not be the same as they would on an isolated fiber network, though.

Back
Top Bottom