What is your ISP speed?

Man that's pretty awesome. Didn't think it was possible.
What are the benefits, cost?

Cost, plus you can customise wire length. And usually the cable and headers will be higher quality since you get to pick them.

At first I thought you were yanking my chain, but how can an IT guy not know you can make your own ethernet cables lol.
Lol don't tell my manager. I'm somehow surviving here.
But seriously that's pretty cool. I'm not a big DIY person in general

Just going to throw this out there... If you do it for a living you would be better off buying premade jumper cables to go from patch panel to switch...

What's more important, time or cost? What does your time cost? Most jobs would be a flat rate for the work, the longer you take making cables the more it's costing you.

That aside, knowing how to make the cables is important... Can get a cheap crimper from Lowes for $10. Just have to make sure the plugs on the ends are for the type of cable you are crimping... Solid vs. stranded, and there are different wire gauges, yay world? Ever try to crimp an end onto a Cat6 STP DB cable that is flooded? Can't do that with any old RJ45 end, have to use one that can accept such a thick cable and allow proper termination of the shielding. Certainly not a fun thing, but is needed knowledge.

Also, I hate, HATE flat cables with a passion.

I just tested from [color=1]www.ispgeeks.com/wild/modules/Bandwidth_Meter_DSL/initialmeter.php[/color] (Javascript (Scripts must be enabled for the test))

341806Capture.png

Back
Top Bottom