What Is A Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Source What Is A Browser

When I worked in tech support I really had to be careful about words. Things like web browsers, the operating system's name or even keys on the keyboard might feel natural to experienced computer users but they did confuse the **** out of the average user. Many did not know what the web browser was, could not say the name or version of their operating system or find the enter key on their keyboard. It was highly frustrating but one gets used to “baby-talking” them into revealing the information needed to do the job.
It was a funny time back then especially considering that these inexperienced users where doing some highly sensitive stuff on the Internet including Internet banking.

Wow, I can't believe the amount of people that don't know what a browser is. If someone asked me what a browser is, I would say it's the program you use to view the internet. Can't really get any more basic than that. I thought that one guy who didn't know what the name of IE was funny.

I still have to deal with a lot of that stuff... "What OS do you have?" "Um, HP." "No, the version of Windows..." "Oh...um, idk" "*sigh*"

Yes, and it used to be that a browser just interpreted html code for the most part. Simple text et al. Now, a browser supports a lot more than that and it probably gets confusing for new Internet users I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom