What is acceptable reuse of user-generated content?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BethLasser

Solid State Member
When users register for a website (e.g.YouTube or Facebook), they generally must agree to terms and conditions that govern the website's use (or reuse) of any content they post to the site. Frequently, these terms state something like as follows:

You retain copyright (ownership) of your postings. We sometimes use postings in our products (books, newsletters, websites, television programs and products in other media). You give us a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide license to reproduce, communicate, edit, adapt or otherwise use your postings in our products as we see fit, including the right to sublicense to others at our discretion. You also give us a license to deal with the postings as necessary to perform technical and administrative functions to operate the website community.

If you were to agree to these terms, how would you expect the company to behave with regard to your material?

What sort of reuse would be acceptable?

Is it OK for the company to use your UGC in its other (offline) products?
Is it OK if the company licenses its website to a third party that mirrors the entire site? (For example, MSN's careers page mirrors parts of CareerBuilder.com.)
Is it OK if that third-party website does not reference the original site? (For example, if MSN paid Career Builder, but did not credit it.)
Is it OK if the company licenses your submission to a third party as an individual item and not part of a package of content?

Under what circumstances do you think the company ought to get your permission to reuse your content?

No... I post my things on the internet. That means it's game. It's like I put my wallet out on the sidewalk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom