Web Browser Memory Usage Benchmark Gets It All Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Source Web Browser Memory Usage Benchmark Gets It All Wrong

Web browser memory usage might not be that much of an issue in these days with Gigabytes of computer memory being build into modern computer systems. There is however the low end market that is fueled by the success of netbooks and other low end hardware. A memory usage test of popular web browser might therefor not affect all computer users but it could be interesting for those that run low end hardware or want to make sure they to use an efficient web browser.
A web browser memory usage comparison was recently posted a the Dot Net Pearls website that compared the memory usage of the Google browser Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera 10 and Safari. The web browsers were configured to open 30 tabs over the command line which where then closed manually by the author except for one. A script running in the background recorded the memory usage of all processes during that time which were then used in the comparison.

Please this gets it all wrong as well. Who cares how many tabs are open? I can sit here and open 900 tabs of a site that is mainly text based and not get the same results.

The Browser Benchmark tests the abilities of the browser during tasks. Which is not the same on every site. It compares things like DOM Objects, control of Flash objects and such.

I can open 4 tabs and have it use up more resources than their 30. Cause i will open video intensive sites. Which will cause more Resource Usage.

Give me a break. Ohh i opened 30 tabs. So what? Yeah it causes more resources to be used, but that doesnt mean that will happen on every PC. That doesnt mean that every browser on every machine will react that way.

Why? Cause who says i use even 1 of their test sites. So their results are just as wrong as the benchmarks. We dont know what sites they used and therefor their results are just as wrong cause all they do is show how much opening multiple tabs will do to a browser. I can test that by opening my Speed Dial 30 times. Doesnt mean that my results will match anyone else's cause i wont have the same items on my speed dial.

Funny how just about everyone who commented said the same exact thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom