Very poor browser performance on new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

suddenlybroken

Beta member
Hi guys. I wanted to ask about a few different browser issues I've been having. My computer is a Sandy Bridge laptop, i7, 6GB RAM, only a few months old. So I don't know why I'm having these issues.

Chrome hangs constantly. First of all, a single video from YouTube or some other source is sometimes enough to crash it, especially if I try to watch the video full-screen. In addition, I frequently have to wait several minutes for a page to load as the browser "wait for cache" - I know that's a common problem. I tried to move back to Firefox, but it stops responding without even loading a webpage half the time and when I finally got it to open this morning, it couldn't load YouTube videos because Flash was out of date, and then the Adobe installer claimed that the Flash source (from its site!) was "corrupt." I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with my computer, or with *me* as a user. Does anybody know a fix for this, or know what might be going wrong, or what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks very much. If it helps, I've just installed some new hardware with the laptop (monitor for a dual display, wireless mouse and keyboard).

I would start by checking the temperatures. Laptops are prone to run hot and heat can cause all kinds of issues.

Thank you for reminding me about that. I did check on this and downloaded SpeedFan, which is a really nifty program. It's giving me lots of green checkmarks at temperatures in the 40-50C range. So I don't think temperature is the issue. I'm still having problems with Chrome hanging, being "not responding" for a few minutes out of nowhere, or taking forever to load while it tells me it's waiting for the cache.

Just a for example - the computer just crashed, having been at 45C temperatures for all 4 cores, ambient, etc., because I opened *Notepad*.

Well then your system has something going on with either an infection or corruption. You need to run chkdsk /r /f and sfc /scannow for starters.

Yeah, I ended up just reformatting, since most of my important stuff was in Dropbox. I don't know what the problem was, but the system is certainly running "like new" now - as one would expect!

Thank you for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom