Verizon Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarrenX

In Runtime
Verizon is the most pathetic ISP ever. It is impossible to expect a sustained dsl connection of 1.5mb/s (thats advertised, in reality its more like 1) for more than 30 minutes. Their partnership with Yahoo! is decent, but completley incompatible with Windows Vista (not to mention they throw Norton AV in with the deal, aka your computers <snipped>).When they tell you that their upgrading to "FioS" and charge you an extra 20$ a month for the "upgrade" do not expect it to be completed for at least 3 years. Not only is their ability to coordinate phone and internet service faulty (they have a severe problem with dsl filters) but they have no [competent] help center in which to address any problem(s). If you call their "help center" number, you are automatically transferred to Abu in Calcutta, whose only response seems to be "power restart the modem." Again, I close by begging anyone who is thinking about going dsl to STAY AWAY!!!!! from Verizon.

Too late! Some are already running FIOS. Not here of course since it depends on where you are located.

Support? support? I'm trying to find out if they have any Linux drivers! The only thing seen lately is a new "report spam" button when you log into your mail while online and not in Outlook Express or Windows Mail. That keeps any garbage from being downloaded while if it does actually reporting besides moving things to another folder? It's a mystery!

Do you actually have to install the software they give you?

Anytime I get a piece of hardware (modem, router, etc) that's bundled with a setup guide on CD-ROM I peel off the huge "WAIT! Install the CD first!" sticker and type in the IP for the web config.

The software for 2Wire's Home Portal by Verizon displays what systems are active when more then one shares the hub. The host pc with a NIK card is the one that needs a direct connection to the dedecated phone line.

Just about all of the services toss one or another antivirus and firewall program on the disk as well as the monitoring, configuration wizard, and drivers needed. The rest are connected by a usb to phone line type adapter using only two wires giving it that name.

Ah, gotcha. I've got an "Actiontec" DSL modem that's much simpler.

So you need the host PC to be on in order to use the internet on another computer?

The host acts as a go between the dsl line and the router by way of the nik card. The host doesn't have to be running for any other system to see direct connection however.

The dsl setup here is a little more involved since more then one system is connecting while typically a single machine uses the smaller basic type. Cable modems are even smaller with a Lan or usb cable plugged into that and the pc.

I have used verizon FiOS. I was gonna get it. DSL sucks period. It doesnt matter who you go thru it sucks. You get interference thru the phone lines and electrical lines. Which does help the service cause it runs along side of phone lines.

FiOS is a great service. I have used it. Their speeds are exactly what they said. If you ahve the service in your area. So yeah it might take 3 years but i would like to see you get a Fiber Connection cheap somewhere else. Fiber is the most expensive type of Connection for common use right now. So yeah it will take Verizon time to get the Fiber to everyone.

Get over it. If you dont like it switch. Easy peasy.

also verizon is still working through the merger with fairpoint, so they have a lot of other stuff going on and once they get the merger finished fairpoint will start to work out all the kinks in the system. and the ceo of fairpoint is a really good guy and won't **** out and make you pay extra and feed you bs for no reason. (my dad worked with him on working out the merger and i almost met him once, but no such luck)

Didn't know they could be so crummy. It doesn't surprise me, though. Verizon loves to charge lots of money for stuff and then sweep the **** under the rug when it hits the fan. A lot like Qwest.

Just imagine trying to read your email or whatever spam comes in while looking at your inbox online before opening up Outlook Express or Windows Mail and it takes forever to get there? That's typical of Verizon's slow downs with dsl here. No FIOS alternative at this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom