Urgent question regarding email

Status
Not open for further replies.

makaveli10

Solid State Member
I may be exchanging emails with someone I don't trust very much. I wanted to know that if I do that, will he be able to see my IP address?

If so, is there any email clients that conceal your IP address?

Please help
Thank You

Why do you want to conceal your IP address?

Just got to confirm this before we proceed.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

It's this guy I've been talking to on MySpace, and I don't particularly trust him or want him to know any of my information like what city I live and so on. I can go into more detail if you want, but it would probably bore you to death.

We need to confim for legit purposes that's all ;)

Yes your IP address (and hostname) will most likly be visable in the emails "headers" when it is recieved.

A typical email header will look something like the following

Received: from myisp.com (local212.myisp.com [111.208.141.212])
by postbox.myisp.com (8.10.2/8.10.2) with ESMTP id B70X2E26999
for <judygs@uic.edu>; Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:33:02 -0600 (CST)

More infomation (and source material) is available at the following URL
Reading Email Headers

If you have any futher questions please dont be afraid to ask and we'll give our best shot at helping you out ;)

Cheers,

~ Tkey

We need to confim for legit purposes that's all ;)

Yes your IP address (and hostname) will most likly be visable in the emails "headers" when it is recieved.

A typical email header will look something like the following

More infomation (and source material) is available at the following URL
Reading Email Headers

If you have any futher questions please dont be afraid to ask and we'll give our best shot at helping you out ;)

Cheers,

~ Tkey

I really appreciate the help Tkey. Is this the same for every email client? Do they ALL give away your IP?

Most email's are tracked around the internet on their pathway to you (via spam filters configured through MX records and the like).
More infomation is given on the website and you will find it also through a Google search.

Due to the nature of your question we cannot be sure of your intentions (legit i'm sure) and therefore will be careful discussing ways in which to conceal your address/hostname etc.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Most email's are tracked around the internet on their pathway to you (via spam filters configured through MX records and the like).
More infomation is given on the website and you will find it also through a Google search.

Due to the nature of your question we cannot be sure of your intentions (legit i'm sure) and therefore will be careful discussing ways in which to conceal your address/hostname etc.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

I understand.

I know that proxy programs exist, but I'm not interested in any of that. I just wish there was a way to email someone without them knowing what town you live in.

It is very hard to track a users exact location via their IP.
The only way to pinpoint users on the standerd dynamic IP system (most likly yourself) would be to contact the ISP and ask them to match IP with time in their records.

Your ISP will be extremly reluctuant to do this unless you have authority (and is never given to general public as it is against their privacy policy)

The only access we have as public is to services such as arin's Who-Is service.

ARIN: WHOIS Database Search

And also global access to publically entered who-is records.

IP WhoIs lookup and Domain WhoIs

Note that servers running on static IP DNS systems are more likly to reveal their company address etc.
Residential dynamic listings however will most likly reveal the ISP address.

Note that running who-is searches on IP/Domain Names should be done for legit purposes only. (such as obtaining an address to report abuse)

Hopefully this has filled in a few blanks for you ;)

Cheers,

~ Tkey

If you are that worried do not use your ISP email account to send emails, create on hotmail or googlemail and send from there it is what most of us do because of space requirements

If you are that worried do not use your ISP email account to send emails, create on hotmail or googlemail and send from there it is what most of us do because of space requirements

Your IP is still retained by the web based provider for security reasons and may be included in the deatailed headers.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom