unknown cause of trouble

Have you tried swapping out ethernet cables? If you have a spare one sitting around it is always worth a shot especially if it was the same one to get hit by lightning. Another quick and easy check is to unplug your router for a minute and plug it back in. the last thing I would check is go to cmd regular works but try to ping Google or which ever you prefer and see if the connection comes back with four good ping requests.

actually, all of that has been updated and replaced since the lightning strike (which was a few years back). and the router and surfboard get unplugged at least once a week to keep them from slowing down. i do not know if they build static, or exactly what slows them down over time. but they do.
Referring back to my post with the toolbox, a lot of times it's as simple has cleaning out the accumulated junk on your system. Run the items in the tool box and see if that helps.
i started work on that, but have not had a chance to do all of it. weekends are busy around here. i will post results when completed.

actually, all of that has been updated and replaced since the lightning strike (which was a few years back). and the router and surfboard get unplugged at least once a week to keep them from slowing down. i do not know if they build static, or exactly what slows them down over time. but they do.
Have you have issues like this since the strike or more recently? I'd say it could be hardware related to that, then.

i started work on that, but have not had a chance to do all of it. weekends are busy around here. i will post results when completed.

An issue I have with that list of tools is Combofix is suggested - do NOT run ComboFix unless specifically told to do so to remove difficult malware. It's not meant to be used as a general-use scanner.

this trouble started roughly 6 months or so ago. so i am not thinking directly related to the lightning strike. but it may just be an age problem. we all know these things are not meant to last forever. and 10 years is a pretty good run by anyone's standard. i will continue to play with trying to fix this for a while. if for no other reason than experience. but i just ordered a new processor to do a major rebuild of this computer. (see hybrid build in new systems building and buying) next month will be the motherboard and memory.

well, i am running the "Find Junk Files" program. i think it is getting rid of about 1/2 or more of the files in my hard drive! i hope it still works after this!

well, i have been downloading and running one program at a time. and it appears that the "find junk files" program has fixed this part of my computer. at least for now. one thing that i have noticed though, is that it also erased my back up files ! yikes ! as long as it continues to work until i get all of the parts for the rebuild, it will be fine. this is one tool i will remember. in fact, i think i will go up and install and run it on my daughters desktop.

Back
Top Bottom