unknown cause of trouble

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
my OLD (Windows Vista) desktop has an issue, that i can not find a reason for it. when i navigate webpages, it is EXTREMELY SLOW (40sec. to over 3 minutes) from the time i click on the shortcut or search engine result. the REALLY strange thing is most times, if i click on the refresh button of the address box, the page will load in a much, much faster amount of time. i am running the Mozilla FireFox internet browser, which is up to date. there are 4 other computers in this home, (and yes, this computer responds this way even when none of them are on) and none of them respond as this one does. we have fast internet, and this is hard wired (ethernet cat 5 cable). i have done the usual things like anti virus, anti malware, and even control prompt - sfc /scannow thing, which seemed to help for a short time. but subsequent running's do not help, so there must have been some other issue that was repaired.

i don't have chrome on my system. but ie is just as slow.

I'd suggest installing Chrome and see if you have similar issues with it.

I'd also suggest maybe running a chkdsk:
Start -> type 'cmd' (without quotes) -> right click -> run as admin -> in the console window that pops up type:
chkdsk C: /f /r
Press Enter and it will say it cannot lock the current drive and to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your computer and let it run through the check (it may take some time, depending on how big your HDD is).

i ran chkdsk, the only thing that showed up was 63 reparsed files in stage 1 of the sacn. i have no idea what that means, or if it can be corrected. or if that is causing an internet problem.

Bin Vista, get windows 7...
i am not going to spend much money on this old system. i am in the beginning stages of planning a fairly good sized upgrade. as in i5 cpu, new motherboard etc. i have had some issues with this computer over the years. how much of them were due to vista, i could not say. i am sure that at least 50% were my fault. i will likely just go to Windows 10 with the new system. not to mention this rig took a hit from lightning. my wife got a nice jolt from the keyboard when it happened. it took a new ethernet card, and a new keyboard to fix it. so that is saying something for the quality of HP products. the real fault of that was because the internet supplier company did not ground the system properly. actually, at all. we were very fortunate that a jolt that made my wifes arm hurt for a couple of days was the worst of it. so anyway, i will have to live with this for a few more months the way it is (for the most part). so getting it to respond to the internet properly would be a thorn out of my side so to speak.

Have you tried swapping out ethernet cables? If you have a spare one sitting around it is always worth a shot especially if it was the same one to get hit by lightning. Another quick and easy check is to unplug your router for a minute and plug it back in. the last thing I would check is go to cmd regular works but try to ping Google or which ever you prefer and see if the connection comes back with four good ping requests.

Referring back to my post with the toolbox, a lot of times it's as simple has cleaning out the accumulated junk on your system. Run the items in the tool box and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom