Tool for tracking internet connectivity?

bengjo

Baseband Member
Hello,

My game disconnects every now and then, and while I use cable (from a switch directly connected with cable to the modem) I suspect my connection might be turning on and off very quickly. This is only noticable in certain games, I found, because it disconnects. Game I'm mainly talking about here is World of Warcraft.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of a tool to track this to see if my connection is actually going on and off quickly?

Or how to troubleshoot this problem, because it's getting really annoying.

It started ever since we got the switch, so obviously there's somethign there. Maybe I should get a router with a switch in it instead? Anything else it could be?

Help is MOST appreciated and I will love you forever!

You could try a looping ping test and log the output to a file.

Something like this:
Code:
:loop

ping -n 1 www.google.com & echo %TIME%

goto loop
Look when ping returns "Ping request could not find host Google. Please check the name and try again" followed by the time.

Last edited:
You could try a looping ping test and log the output to a file.

Something like this:
Code:

ping -n 1 www.google.com & echo %TIME%

goto loop
Look when ping returns "Ping request could not find host Google. Please check the name and try again" followed by the time.

How do I do this? :eek:

Copy and paste that into notepad and save it as a .bat file. It'll continuously loop, so push "Ctrl-C" to exit the loop.

Well, it was really only an example. All this program does it loop and display whether or not a ping test was successfull and the time stamp of that ping test.

If it were me I'd let it run in the background as you play, and when you disconnect from your game, check back on the script and see if you got errors saying it couldn't connect.

Well, it was really only an example. All this program does it loop and display whether or not a ping test was successfull and the time stamp of that ping test.

If it were me I'd let it run in the background as you play, and when you disconnect from your game, check back on the script and see if you got errors saying it couldn't connect.

Alright, thanks, I'll do that.

It tracks like every 2 secs REALLY quickly and then the information is lost, though. How am I suppose to use this? When I DC I instantly stopped it and check, but it checks my ms like 10 times/1sec.

This might work better (output logging and delay)
Code:

ping -n 1 www.google.com & echo %TIME% >> C:\logfile.txt
ping -n 11 127.0.0.1 > nul

goto loop

I'm not on Windows at the moment so I can't check if it works. I dont' see why it wouldn't though.
This one waits one second between each ping to google.com.

This might work better (output logging and delay)
Code:

ping -n 1 www.google.com & echo %TIME% >> C:\logfile.txt
ping -n 11 127.0.0.1 > nul

goto loop

I'm not on Windows at the moment so I can't check if it works. I dont' see why it wouldn't though.
This one waits one second between each ping to google.com.

Works. A lot slower than the other, so this might just do the trick. I'll check it out, thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom