Is it Time to Reconsider Firefox? YES!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Ive been waiting for something like this to surface. When you have a company such as Microsoft that has its own browser and they are as big as they are, I just dont see how anyone can compete with them. And just because Opera is lower than them all, that doesnt mean anything, well it does, and thats is, no one hardly uses it so why try to make some money off of it? Every time MS issues a patch to is OS or Browser, its just that much more secure than it was. FF is full of screwed up code that needs to be fixed, which is what MS has been doing for years. Just because its not used much doesnt make it safe, its a sitting time bomb, once it gains market share its history. With it being new, there are all kind of goodies for them to exploit. But with each patch FF issues, it becomes more secure but everyone of them are YEARS behind MS. As we seen in Pwn2Own, all the broswers get hacked. And really just becuase one gets hacked faster than another doest really mean anything. 3 seconds or 3 hours, they are all exploited, can be exploited and will always be exploited. Some more than others as you see in the article below. And FF still has that memory leak since its introduction. Everyone lived without FF before it came out and with all its shiny extensions so they can do it now. Its not going to make or break your internet browsing experience. I absolutely hate it when I see that someone uses FF on my network, on my laptops, on my desktops and the versions are so old and they have MANY patches that need to be installed, they are sitting ducks and I have to clean it up when something happens. And in my line of work, they all need to be Admins on their machines. And to think about all those companies that ditched IE in favor of FF, I feel sorry for them, with no central patch management, deployment process, its a mess. With IE, you get them on the second Tuesday of every month. Depending on how severe an exploit is, usually MS will issue an out of cycle patch but not always.

Yes other browsers may load a page faster but why compromise faster page loads with security? And whats 1/2 a second anyways?

FF has more pretty extensions than anyone else, buy why compromise extensions with security?

Just think of how many extentions are being exploited or can be exploited, its a lot. Here is an article about just that. Some Firefox extensions may be exploited to install malware | IT Security | TechRepublic.com
I counted 10919 Extentions for FF, some might be dups in different categories, but anyways, how many of them can be exploited? No one really knows but Im not willing to take a wager on it. And that NoScript extension cant save you all from everything such as the XSLT vuln that was used in Pwn2OWn.

We can visit this thread in a year and see where we are with the browsers again and if anything has changed.

But again, the best browser is the browser that fits you, but that doesnt make it the best browser out there. I think security should be on everyones mind and to base their decision around that, not on page loads, extentions, tabs, etc. Browsers are built around code, all and any code can be exploited, its just a fact of code. Just because there isnt an exploit today, doesnt mean they wont figure it out tomorrow just because the missed a character or ) or > or . or = :thumbsup:

Is it Time to Reconsider Firefox?

With Firefox having 44% of all reported browser vulnerabilities in the first half of the year, this guy wants to know if it is time to reconsider using Firefox.

A report by security vendor Cenzic has pegged the popular open source Firefox Web browser right at the top in terms of the total reported vulnerabilities. According to Cenzic, Firefox garnered 44 percent of all reported browser vulnerabilities in the first half of this year. This is in contrast to Safari, which commanded 35 percent and Internet Explorer's 15 percent. Fourth-place Opera garnered just 6 percent of reported flaws.

One of the only reasons FF took some market from MS was the fact that they and everyone else that switched over touted it was more secure, but people just dont know what secure means and what all it covers. FF or any other browser will never be able to overcome IE, simple as that.

I'm not suggesting anything, if you go MS then yes IE8. Over the years people talk about FF and its secureness and whatnot. When anything first comes out, of course there isnt anything going to exploit right out of the box. Give it some time as I have said many times in threads like this. Just because its not exploited yet doesnt make it more secure. They all get exploited at one point or another, its inevitable. I use and always have used IE. I have tried the others for testing purposes but never my main browser. They use the word "secure" to losely. Its like you telling every girl you meet that you "love" them. But do you really love them? Is FF really that "secure"? The answer to both, No. Its not more secure than all others as it claims. Then people read what they say and the use their product and back it up and because they say its secure, they use it they think they are. They are taking what someone else says to heart and beleiving them. When its not true. And its all coming down on them. Now they have 2 browsers on their system if not more that have current unpatched exploits. This doubles the exploits if you have IE and FF installed. Think about it.

Makes sense. I have IE8 and FF installed, FF as my main browser and IE8 sits, but I always update both when updates are available.

Firefox is my main, but I have IE8 and Chrome as well.

I have no illusions as to FF being bulletproof. No browser is completely invulnerable. Taking into account that anyone can submit an extension for FF it is no surprise that several open up gaping holes. I use a bunch of extensions, but I am not stupid about things.

It's when people either don't take the depravity of people into consideration regarding their own protection and safeguards, or go skipping along complacently ignorant into the minefield, that things get ugly. It wouldn't matter what browser these people were using. If you are going to break dance in the fast lane you will get hit, period.

^ True dat. I only use NoScript, Flash block, and FEBE. And I don't play retard by break dancing all over the internet.

Alright there is just 1 major and 1 minor issue with this topic.

1. The flaws that are exploited are strictly for Windows. Firefox for Linux doesnt have these flaws. The expolits can not be used in Linux as they will have no effect. So using Firefox can have a profound effect on being very secure when not using the most attacked OS in the world.

The minor issue, customization. Everyone wants it. Everyone does it. Ie doesnt offer it. Simple as that. when people go as far as hacking the OS itself to be able to modify the themes or use software like Windowsblinds to do it for them, using a browser that has very few options to make it "your own" isnt going to fly. Plain and simple people want it their way or no way at all.

Alright with that said, i know that my major issue has little relevance to the whole point of reconsidering Firefox as a main browser. I wanted to bring it up cause basically all the article and this topic talk about is the fact that Firefox is flawed more than people think. Granted that is true. But people forget that Firefox is also bundled with Linux which isnt going to be affected by these exploits that take advantage of some extensions.

It is just the point that not everyone uses Windows. If we are going to sit here and talk about alternatives, lets not forget that Windows is not the only OS on the planet. There is alternatives to browsers just as much as there is alternatives to OS's.

So I guess I am a little confused here, is the Browser itself the issue or the extension that cause the issue? Cause I run FF as my main browser but use only the extensions required by my sites. I think I use .net and a program for my work.... I don't see either of these extensions causing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom