Is there a way to find where all my bookmarks are stored in Chrome?

Iron Feet

In Runtime
I have probably a couple hundred bookmarks stored in Chrome. I've been trying to search and cannot find where they are stored. I have a computer at work and wanted to copy all the bookmarks onto a flash drive then add them into my work computer. Both home and work computers are running XP Pro.

Well According to the google forum folks:

Inside the "...\Chrome\User Data\Default\" directory are two files. "Bookmarks", and "Bookmarks.bak". One is for your current bookmarks, and the other one (with the .bak extension) signifies that it is a bookmarks backup, if anything goes wrong. Bookmarks.bak gets overwritten every time you close Chrome.

Bookmarks in Chrome exist as a virtual filesystem. Meaning, that all your bookmarks are really just stored in one file, but appear as an actual filesystem inside Chrome.

You only have to copy that file, and back it up somewhere. And if you want to recovery your bookmarks, simply copy/paste the "Bookmarks" file you backed-up, back in to the directory you took it from.

Chrome must be closed prior to doing this.

Hope this helps.

(and btw, try opening the "Bookmarks" file with a text editor like Notepad =])

Google Groups

Does anyone know where the Google Chrome bookmarks are stored on the HD? ? - Yahoo! Answers

Vista:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\History

XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Local Settings\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\History

You should also be able to export them though to an HTML file to import into other browsers by going to the Settings button > Bookmarks > Bookmarks Manager > Click Organize at the top > Export to HTML file.

Edit: Ninja'd by paton, lol

I go into my documents/settings, click on user name and cannot find application data or local settings anywhere. I remember seeing them there in the past but cannot find it anywhere.

Enable the Show HIdden Files and Folders options.

Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Show Hidden Files and Folders

Ok, I did that and now I can see the Application data folder but still not seeing Local Settings folder anywhere. This is getting a little frustrating because I know I have seen this in the past. I'm not sure what happened that it all changed or disappeared.

Should be under: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings

Try manually typing it into the address bar to go there.

Back
Top Bottom