Temporary Internet Files & IE6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzervit

Beta member
NOTE: This issue is referring to a SharePoint internal web site...

My issue is simple: some PCs you can check out a PDF then open from the Document Library in Adobe Acrobat Standard and make your changes, save and close Acrobat and life is good. Other PCs, however, when you check out the document and then proceed to open it IE insists on downloading the file to the temp Internet files location and then launching Acrobat. IF the user makes the change and saves it saves to the temp directory and not the document library.

I've checked everything... PC setups, User rights, Sharepoint settings... I'm at a total loss what is causing this behavior on some PCs and not others. I searched and one gentleman had the same issue 2 years ago**, but that answer made no sense and doesn't apply in this situation.

All browsers are IE6, most users are setup as contributors (though even my admin status doesn't work on the PCs in question). All are XP Pro SP2/3 (it doesn't discriminate). What buried setting causes IE to save the file to a temp location then launch instead of just launching from the document library?!!

** MOSS: location of saved files

You will never find a specific setting. This is one of those situations that make PC's the wonderful joy that they are. It can not be explained why the behavior on some is what you expect and not on others. It is what it is. You can take a direct image from the PC that does what you expect and put it on one of the PC that doesnt and you still might not get the desired affect.

Maybe Acrobat is not setup? Maybe IE has a obsecure setting cause of a plugin? Maybe the file was never accessed before?

It wont be able to be explained. Espically with IE6 since that is one of the quirkiest browsers ever. It never did anything that was expected.

Mac, I cannot accept that answer. PCs simply do what they are told and how they are setup. If I cloned a PC that opens the file correctly I would be my paycheck that each image would do the same... that's just the way PCs work. There IS a setting somewhere, a checkbox, a registry entry, a line of code that causes the different behavior.

Acrobat is setup. Version is 9 Standard on all PCs but one. Files have been accessed. Plug-ins verified. It HAS to be something... somewhere...

Doesn't matter whether you accept it or not as experience has shown us this to be true, especially when it involves different hardware setups. Even on identical setups you can get varying behaviors... it's what makes IT so interesting.

Doesn't matter whether you accept it or not as experience has shown us this to be true, especially when it involves different hardware setups. Even on identical setups you can get varying behaviors... it's what makes IT so interesting.
Same hardware. Same image = same results... period. Many, many years of experience tells me that.

The problem here is there are two slightly differnet PCs and are getting different results... thus there must be one setting that causes the behavior... It's cause and effect... I will find that setting darn it!

Same hardware. Same image = same results... period. Many, many years of experience tells me that.

The problem here is there are two slightly differnet PCs and are getting different results... thus there must be one setting that causes the behavior... It's cause and effect... I will find that setting darn it!

Highlighted for emphasis.

Different PC's will NOT act the same. Why is it that i can run newer software on my aged Dell yet people who have newer hardware can not? Why is it that people experience errors within any Windows OS that can NOT be reproduced on another system?

PC's do what they are told but that does not mean that the overall affect will be exactly the same. Over 15 years of experience have taught me that.

You can not just clone a system and expect it to work. It just doesnt happen. If you dont believe me ask a user Jayce who works with several hundred PC's of all the same make and brand but yet always has issues with several that will not accept the image.

It can be a something to do with the chipset driver, audio driver, it could be some other software installed changed a settings, it could be the network drivers, it could be the firewall, it could be the network connection, it could be the ISP, it could be everything and anything.

The PC's are NOT exactly the same cause no 2 machines are identical. EVER. You said it yourself the machines are NOT the same and therefor you can NOT expect them to operate the same.

So unless you can guarantee that the machine have the same exact software installed, the same exact hardware with the same exact driver, visit the same exact sites to have the same cookies and cache files, and all done in the same exact order, then there is no way you can tell me that the PC's are to be expected to work exactly the same.

So you cant accept the answer, i am sorry. But it is the truth. I know Windows settings very well. I know IE's settings very well. I can tell you that there is no setting any where in Windows that will affect this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom