Switch fom Dropbox to Google drive

patonb

Golden Master
So, I'm the smartest in computers in my tiny company, 10 employees, so I get IT support.

We've been using dropbox personal with everyone individually paying, but since we run out email and what not via Google business, we get 30Gigs so no need for DB.

Now, my Q is: How to best migrate the stuff and keep the bandwidth down?

Thanks

as far as i know the best way is to download all of it and upload it. i dont think cloud storage sites would like to help users move away from their services sadly :neutral:

After hours would probably be the easiest and "lightest" way of doing it, as to not interrupt much work.

Or have 1 person do it a day until you have everybody transferred over - since they're synced locally already would just have to upload them to Google Drive; and since you only have 10 people, it'd only take 10 days (or less if you could do more than 1 a day).

Do the accounts share any identical info? Anything shared I'd upload once and just copy locally for the rest - when GD launches it'll compare and not bother to DL the files that already exist locally.

I would be careful about Google drive, btw. When you start connecting via the API you quickly discover that Google never deletes anything. All of your files, even when deleted or moved out of google drive stay in google drive, they just get a flag marked as "deleted". I discovered this trying to write a script to pull down my google drive stuff and EVERYTHING came down, all of it. Like multiple versions of the same file. Every time you make a change, a new version is kept, but so is the old one. Kinda obnoxious.

--Brad

I would be careful about Google drive, btw. When you start connecting via the API you quickly discover that Google never deletes anything. All of your files, even when deleted or moved out of google drive stay in google drive, they just get a flag marked as "deleted". I discovered this trying to write a script to pull down my google drive stuff and EVERYTHING came down, all of it. Like multiple versions of the same file. Every time you make a change, a new version is kept, but so is the old one. Kinda obnoxious.

--Brad

Same idea that Dropbox uses - multiple versions.

I'm not sure this what you're looking for, but I know this website where you can migrate your stuff from one cloud to another. Here it is:

https://mover.io

I found it when Copy announced they were going to be discontinued. They gave this option to migrate the stuff.
Just be sure to have enough space in the storage you want to move to, obviously.
Hope I helped.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom