Strange Browser Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiscoJP

Baseband Member
Ok, I've been having some trouble with my browsers lately, and did the whole gamut of fixes (spyware, virus scans, HJT logs, you name it). I even formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP. But I was still having trouble with what seemed to be "timeout" issues. Some pages would load fast, others slow, some not at all. I'd get the "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" page, and I'd have to refresh the browser in order to get the page to load. I even tried my spare modem, and had the same problem. Just on a whim, I tried loading up AOL, which wouldn't load properly at first. Once it finally connected, the browser within AOL works great, just like my IE or Netscape connections used to! Does anyone know why my we surfing is great within AOL, but iffy at best when going directly through IE, Firefox, or Netscape?

Hmmm... have you checked to see if the proxy settings are correct? As in, turned off if you don't need it, or set to the right number if you do? AOL doesn't use proxies (that I remember... I try to forget those days...), but Earthlink did if you used anything besides IE.

I went to Tools>Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings, and nothing in those boxes is checked. I don't think I ever had anything in there checked. This all started happening 3 or 4 weeks ago, and I never touched any of my settings. I thought it was a virus, or spyware, cleaned that out, even reformatted my hard drive, but the problem persists, unless I'm in AOL, which I don't like using. But that's the only way that the internet works well for me now.

Are you running a firewall? If so, has it updated itself recently?

When I renewed my internet security suite, my firewall was updated. I immediately began to have problems in that I lost all online animations (like my avatar) and some buttons on websites were just not there anymore. It turned out that my firewall has an ad blocking setting that it had turned all the way up, and it was causing the problem.

You may also want to check your AOL settings as well. Make sure that all of the settings (your's and their's) jive with each other.

What ISP do you normally use?

I use Verizon. I called them again last night, and apparently this is their fault. Something went wrong with their servers, and a bulk of the NYC area is having outages. They said I was lucky to be able to get online at all! It's been going on for about 3 weeks (exactly when I noticed this), and they're desperately trying to fix it. They said AOL goes through different servers, even though it's all on the same DSL line, so that's why AOL works a lot better than my stand-alone browsers. I tend to believe them, since my wife's computer is having the same symptoms.

Well, that just sux. Man, I'd be majorly peeved.

I am glad that you found out what was going on.

Yeah, it definitely sucks. Especially since I reformatted and everything. Other than this, they've given me great service over the years, though

I'd try to get my monthly charge prorated or something for the downtime. Maybe even have them knock some off since you had to go through all the trouble of trying to fix something that was their fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom