Refused connection to download windows live messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

armstrong26491

Beta member
My hard drive's been wiped twice in the last week, so basically i've been starting from scratch. Tried to download windows live messenger but it won't let me, the error being:

Failed to Connect

The connection was refused when attempting to contact g.live.com

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

* Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.

* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.

* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

Most other websites seem to work fine, but for some reason it doesn't work with alot of the windows live site.

Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: sorry, this happens in IE aswell, not just firefox

Re: Firefox: refused connection for certain sites

I'm not a big fan of Microsoft's attempts at stuff. They seem to be able to take a great idea and utterly screw it up most of the time. The other times seem to give out experiences like this.

My attempts at trying to set up Live Messenger (I think) were about the same. I ended up scrapping it and staying with Trillian.

Mak was around a little bit ago. He's one of the local MS gurus. Hopefully he will actually be able to shed some light on a solution.

Thanks for the link but unfortunately made no difference. I have't even mangaed to get as far as downloading the program yet, never mind setting it up.

It's not just trying to download this thats the problem, there's quite a few pages on the windows live site it won't let me access. Someone suggested it might be because i haven't validated my copy of windows xp - could this be it?

It very well could be. A lot of stuff from Microsoft requires verification of the authenticity of your OS.

That shouldnt matter. I have been able to download the Live Web Installer without activating my copy of Windows 7. It doesnt require Validation to download. So i would look to something else like a host file or something with your firewall.

do you have another computer on your network you could try downloading the file with? Even if you don't, you borrow a laptop and tried downloading onto that. Basically what that will do is rule out your router, any firewalls you have on the router, and basically your internet settings as possible problems.
If the dl works on the laptop, it'd be safe to say it's your computer which is causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom