Recommend a file hosting script?

Jonny125

Solid State Member
Hi there,

I'm looking to make some better use out of my current web hosting, and one of the main things I want to setup is a file hosting service for myself and a couple of friends to use. I would like it to be a reasonably private way for us to upload our files whether they be images, documents, video clips or compressed files (When I say private, I mean registrations that as the admin I will confirm the access, and only we can access the files).

After looking on the web I can see tons out there, but would like to use something that's been tried and tested by someone rather techy, rather than just some random writing a review...possibly biased reviews at that.

Open source are what I had in mind.

Any suggestions? - Please do not recommend a script / package unless you or somebody you know has actually used it and liked it)

Thanks for reading...any relevant replies much appreciated.

Can always just setup and FTP server, and create accounts for specific people.

If you're on Linux, may want to look into Webmin, as well.

Hi there,

I'm looking to make some better use out of my current web hosting, and one of the main things I want to setup is a file hosting service for myself and a couple of friends to use. I would like it to be a reasonably private way for us to upload our files whether they be images, documents, video clips or compressed files (When I say private, I mean registrations that as the admin I will confirm the access, and only we can access the files).

After looking on the web I can see tons out there, but would like to use something that's been tried and tested by someone rather techy, rather than just some random writing a review...possibly biased reviews at that.

Open source are what I had in mind.

Any suggestions? - Please do not recommend a script / package unless you or somebody you know has actually used it and liked it)

Thanks for reading...any relevant replies much appreciated.

You should also make sure that you have read and understood the terms and conditions of your web hosting package, many restrict the types of usage.

You should also make sure that you have read and understood the terms and conditions of your web hosting package, many restrict the types of usage.

I'll look into that, hadn't intended to become the next megaupload but the principle is the same I guess.

As for the FTP suggestion, I really wanted to be able to access the files via the web, without needing to use an FTP client. Wanted somewhat of quick access, regardless of the speed of the download. Although FTP would be the easiest way to set this thing up, I could be wanting to get to it from any computer that wouldn't necassarily have a client already installed.

Thank you for the replies.

If you set it up as SFTP, then you'll need a client (i.e. using SSL to make it more secure). If you set it up as just regular FTP, you don't need a client; you can use either a web browser, or Windows explorer to connect to the FTP.

If you set it up as SFTP, then you'll need a client (i.e. using SSL to make it more secure). If you set it up as just regular FTP, you don't need a client; you can use either a web browser, or Windows explorer to connect to the FTP.

I've been using a client for FTP since as long as I can remember. Feel a little silly now for not knowing this lol.

Other than stating the obvious that SFTP is far more secure than regular FTP. Is regular FTP, really unsecure? - If you had a website on the same hosting package, would you use regular FTP for personal files? I should probably just research this but something tells me your answer will make more sense to me than a lot of the reading I'm about to do.

My paranoria is the result of my sites being hacked & defaced before.

Thank you.

SFTP uses an SSL certificate to add an extra layer of security, basically. This way it doesn't just rely on usernames/passwords.

Back
Top Bottom