quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbiepemberton

Beta member
i have an 8 meg line but doing a speed test i get between 1.5Mbs and 1.9mbs

upload is 3-500 kbs

i have never managed to reach this speed when downloading from ANYWHERE including with all the youtube how-to vids that i have tried.

i seem to max at around 200kbs d/l and 50kbs u/l

is there any way i can reach my lines maximum as stated by the speedchecker

cheers

robbie :)

Your downloads are limited by the speed of where you are downloading them from. For a file from a single server you are limited by its speed. in P2P you are limited by the accumulated speeds of everyone else.

On a 8 meg line you should be hitting more than 200 down for P2P, but, again, it depends on your sources. The number of seeds/leaches makes a huge difference. I am on a 5 meg line and can download Unbuntu at over 600, but it has loads of solid seeds.

Again, it is based off of the SOURCE where you are downloading from. Even trying to download from a Microsoft server you will be CAPPED at 200KB/s. They have hundreds maybe even thousands or possibly millions of people that they have to feed the file to all at the same time.

If they allow 1 connection to use 8MB that is at least 20 people that can not download at that time. So the cap how much can go to any connection at any time to make sure that everyone can access the files on the server and get what they want.

YouTube, Microsoft, Google and so many more all do this to prevent anyone from not being able to access any data at any time. There is no site out there other than speed test sites that is going to give you full bandwidth capabilities while downloading. At that point they would be hampering their service to anyone else who was using it at the time just to feed information to 1 user.

It doesnt matter if you have a 4MB line like me or a 50MB line like a FiOS user, it is the same for all. It is based fully on the server you are getting the file from. We have absolutely no control over it.

P2P is dependent fully on the amount of people who are seeding the file and the speed of their upload. If you only have 5 seeds on a file and they each have only 50kb/s upload then you will never reach the 8MB download. You would need a file like Ubuntu which has a massive amount of seeds, like almost a 1,000, to be able to even get close.

Looking at your speed test results, though, I would contact your ISP. Even if they have oversold their bandwidth 1.9 is a long way from 8.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom