problem with Skype (bad video quality)

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I have been having some problems when skyping. I do receiver a good video quality but apparently the person I am skyping with receives a poor quality video from me. I also get a message on Skype saying the connection is very slow.

The weirds thing is, I thought I had quite fast internet, I just did a speedtest and got this result:

also did a pingtest and got this result:

Is my internet connection really too slow? Or could something else be causing this problem?

I don't know much about all of this, so any kind of help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Lars

could the problem be on their site? I can see their video clear, but they don't see mine in good quality. could it be a slow download speed on their side?

It's possible. Have them run a speedtest if you can.

If they are getting bad quality then it is on their end. The thing with such things as VoIP and video chats is that no matter what your speeds are, if they do not have a good quality connection they will have bad quality. Your connection can handle things just fine, as shown by the fact you get perfect quality. But since they are not, their download speeds cant handle the video transmission. Running a speed test might give some info about their connection.

Another thing to suggest is that they disable all other things that are using internet to help boost their speed a bit more.

Last edited:
I asked the person I skyped with to do a speed-test as well, and his result was:

Download: 20Mbs, Upload; 2Mbs, Ping: 8ms

Would that be fast enough or too slow for a good quality video skype session?

Okay that is the speed that the provider gives them. That is not what they get.

I have a package much like them but as you see I dont get exactly 20Mbs down and 2Mbps up.

But yes that would be fine for a good quality session.

Okay that is the speed that the provider gives them. That is not what they get.

I have a package much like them but as you see I dont get exactly 20Mbs down and 2Mbps up.

But yes that would be fine for a good quality session.

Thanks!
What else could possibly be the cause the the bad quality? During the Skype session Skype did give me a message saying the connection between us was slow...still both of us got results on the speedtest that should be fine for a good quality skype-video call....

Back
Top Bottom