Problem checking e-mails and with IM programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

amy29

Beta member
Hi all,

I have a problem with my internet connection. I know this might be a trivial question for you all, but I am at loss!

I can open all websites normally. But if I try to check my e-mail on yahoo, hotmail or any such, then it doesn't open. Furthermore, I cannot use IM programs and am told that I have a problem with my proxy or firewall settings.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to solve this?

I am a Windows XP user, with Internet Explorer as my web browser.

Thanks in advance!

The firewall part is the easiest to check.

Turn your firewall off and see if you can access them. If you can, you know it is your firewall. Turn your firewall back on and start checking to see if your IM programs have been given permissions.

As for proxy problems, that would be either in your internet software (if on dial-up) or in your browser's configuration.

I tried playing with the firewall settings, I even disabled it completely, but it had no effect.

Concerning the proxy settings, I connect to a wireless home network. Could the problems have something to do with the browser settings? But how could that affect the IM programs?

I called the ISP, but they werent helpful... advised me to format the hard disks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom