.png vs browser question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you wondering which versions of browsers? I know all popular current browsers support .png, though I believe IE5 didn't support the see-through whiteness thingy.

IE6 and before did not support PNG. Early version of firefox did not as well as Opera before 8.5. but right now there is not a browser out there that doesnt have support for anything a .png file can do.

As long as they are running IE7 or any of the current released browsers they will see them right.

IE6 and before did not support PNG. Early version of firefox did not as well as Opera before 8.5. but right now there is not a browser out there that doesnt have support for anything a .png file can do.

As long as they are running IE7 or any of the current released browsers they will see them right.

thanks mak, that is what i wanted to hear!

so anyone with a current browser (no reason why they wouldnt be really unless they just are not up to speed on things) is good to go.

Unless it is a business that runs IE6 for some obsecure reason, like they have untested things for IE7 or IE8 or it is a user who has a personal disliking to IE7 or IE8 then there is no reason why having PNG files on your site would adversly affect anyone.

Best bit of advice i can give for it. Use alt text for the images in case they are using IE6 or a obsecure browser that doesnt have PNG support so they can at least see that there is something that should be there.

IE6 did support PNG's. It just didn't support transparency in them.

I think IE6 only supported flattened PNG files that didnt have any transparency. Which the main reason to use .png was for the transparency. There are fixes for it but at this point seeing as how IE8 is out now, it really shouldnt matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom