Please help with hotmail password recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazza

In Runtime
Hi there guys (and gals), I have a big problem which I hope you can help me with.

My father tragically passed away recently, which has left us having to sort out a lot of legal issues. He had always accessed his email address from his laptop, and so whenever you typed hotmail.com in the address bar his inbox would open straight up, so I'm assuming that's something to do with the password being saved in cookies?

For this reason he never told us the password, as he said we could just type in hotmail.com and it would open up his emails. We used this method fine for a while, until yesterday when a friend signed out of my father's email account, and in to their own. This now means that we cannot get into my father's email account. There are some very important emails in there which we have been sending and receiving, trying to resolve the legal issues, and so it is very important for us.

My local computer shop says there is nothing we can do. We have tried to reset the password, but that only gives you the option of sending the forgotten password to the email address that you have forgotten the password for (which seems pointless of Microsoft to include), or an alternate email address which he must have chosen when creating his email address. We do not know this alternate email address.

So our only hope I guess is if the laptop has the password somewhere, in cookies or auto complete or something? The OS is Vista Home Premium, and have been using Internet Explorer 7. There seem to be programs on the internet that say can get the password, but I'm not sure. We are willing to pay for them, if they work.

Does anyone have any suggestions? They will be appreciated so very much.

Thank you sincerely

Harry

p.s. sorry for long post. Also, I think I have posted this in the correct section of the forum.

edit: We've also rang Microsoft, but they dont have a phone option for what we need.

First let me start off by saying i am sorry for your lose. Thoughts and prayers to your and your family.

The lost password feature will send the password to the backup email account that is used when a person signed up. The password might be stored via a cookie if you start to type in his name. But your best option is going to be sending a email right to the hotmail people.

https://feedback.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlmail

That will be your best hope. Give them the situation and ask them if they can reset the password and give them a email account you have as the alternative one so that you can get stuff taken care of.

I would also advise that you use one of your own email accounts to take care of the legal stuff. No need to use a account that you do not have full control over.

Thank you very much for your help, we have sorted it out now through Microsoft.

Thanks again

Hi Hazza

I hope this post flags up in your email. Your post, 31st August, says you solved the Hotmail password problem "through Microsoft". Please tell how as I am still stuck.

Or does anyone else know how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom