no internet connection

Well i got a hub.. a laptop connects to the hub wireless and works fine.. and now i was trying to connect this desktop to the hub wired but is not working

well you cant just have a hub and that's that :p so like your comp --> hub --> router --> cable modem is an example.

or your comp --> hub --> cable modem

can you do an ipconfig on your laptop that works fine and list ip/subnet/default gateway please? off hand without doing the math, subnet seems fine by the way.

Last edited:
Well i guess its not a hub. I think it could be a router but that is just connected to the power and sends the signal wireless to the laptop and it has two Ethernet ports in the back to connect to a desktop and that's what i did.. My laptop is working fine
Ipv4 address 192.168.15.128
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Def gateway 192.168.15.1

ok, what is the model name of the router/hub/ whatever it is, and if you have internet, there has to be something else connected to it. coax cable? (i wouldbe surprised if you are wirelessly bridging your internet, its possible though) anything besides your hardlined desktop?

are you getting your ip address automatically? or is it static?

IP of 169.xxx means we have no connection to a router or modem.

So follow along with maddangerous as he is trying to get you connected to your router.

Other devices are working fine so the router is ok.

We want to check tcp/ip settings to ensure they are set to obtain ip automatically.

tcp_ip_settings.jpg

We want to redo all of the wired connections to the router.

We want to try another cable in case the one we are using is bad.

Check using different ports on the router.

Ensure We are using the correct port on the back of the computer.

Last edited:
I'm getting my ip addresses automatically and I'm not sure what kind of router i have but its with a company called "clear" i've also tried different cables n still the same i tried the same cable w my laptop n the laptop gets signal. It also shows the "work offline" message when i try to get on the internet..

there has to be some form of indication on the router of brand and model number, why dont you post up everything on the router, see if we can figure it out. oh, and who is your ISP?

you need to be a little more clear about what happens when you connect the laptop with the cable please, the work offline message appears when you try to use internet explorer and what? you can or cant get on the internet? also, did you make sure to turn off the wireless when you hardlined the laptop?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom