Need help finding trustworthy Mp3 download site

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ EndurancE

In Runtime
I'm looking for a good, trustworthy, LEGAL Mp3 download website. I don't have an iPod, and don't like iTunes at all. :( I've been told that Napster is good, but didn't they get in trouble with the law awhile back?? :confused: Amazon.com is somewhat limited. :(

I really don't want to install any software for service, but most seem to require it so I suppose I'll just have to break down and install whatever I end up going with. I'd LIKE to find a service that lets you pay per download, as I don't buy TONS of music at one time, and can't really afford a monthly fee.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really need help on this! :eek:

If you want to pay for the music then probably iTunes.

Free (illegally) and i would get a torrent program like Utorrent or Azureus

It must be legal -- I never get pirated music! :eek: In fact, I actively speak out against it.

See, as far as I know, with iTunes you can't get the tracks in Mp3 format. It's some wierd iPod format, which my ZEN player won't support. :( :(

Unless someone knows of a converter program..................

You can get MP'2 from download.com as well. Most of the MP3's from MSN are from Zune. They use that as their main Music service now.

Napster is fine now.
They got into some trouble a while ago because it used to be a problem just like Limewire or iMesh - p2p.

Now they have made it so you have to purchase each track.
It's completely legal.
Just like one of the download sites you are looking for.:)

Like Sinci said, Napster is fine now. They got hit real big in the ninety's because they were THE piracy site. They started it all. After a fierce legal battle and a lengthy hiatus they emerged in their current reincarnation as a pay-per-download music vendor.

Also on the subject of iTunes; I have several fans with Ipods (I personally dislike ANYTHING mac related, personal preference, please no bash macboys.) and last I heard iTunes songs are notoriously hard to bypass DRM to allow you to play them on anything except a Mac device. I believe at one point the DRM was so strict you could only play the song from it's original download directory (ie downloading it to your computer would keep you from playing it on your MP3 player), but I may be wrong about that.

Not to cause a whole DRM/Piracy argument but I personally prefer free downloads and they work on my Zen player just great. I don't feel guilty about it because the last estimate I heard was that the artist only makes like a buck per CD sold while the other $19 goes to the record executives living in 50 million dollar homes and driving million dollar sports cars.

I feel I make up for it by spending the $75 a pop for concert tickets, that's where artists get the most profits anyway. But again, that's just my opinion, not to start an argument. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom