Need Help Configuring my Cox Cable Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heresy

Baseband Member
I already have a computer hooked up the internet via Cox Cable, and it is working fine. I had someone come out here and "professionally install" it for me when I first got it about a year ago. Now comes the dilemma...

I don't have a router at the moment to share my connection with my laptop. I won't be getting one for a few months, but I would still like to temporarily access the internet via my connection so I can download some programs on it (I don't want to waste a few bucks in CDRs if I can help it :p). In other words, I want to know if it is possible to just unplug the wire from my modem to my desktop and plug it into my laptop without screwing up anything.

Even if I can't do it, I would still like to know how hard it is to configure my cox cable since I will need to reformat my desktop in the near future since I haven't wiped it clean since I purchased it (over three years ago). Having someone come out to your house costs $50 alone, so it is worth my while to learn.

Cox cable should just be plug and play. I have it, and I can just plug it into a computer and it recognizes it and I'm online. Wired routers aren't that expensive, you should at least get one of those.

Yeah that will be just fine. I do it everynow and again with friends computers. Just take the Ethernet Cord from your Ethernet Card of your PC and plug it into your laptop. That is just fine.

beedubaya said:
Cox cable should just be plug and play. I have it, and I can just plug it into a computer and it recognizes it and I'm online. Wired routers aren't that expensive, you should at least get one of those.

The only reason I am waiting for a router at the moment is because I use my dad's credit card to purchase books for college and I sometimes add a few other things besides books...:D

majistic said:
Yeah that will be just fine. I do it everynow and again with friends computers. Just take the Ethernet Cord from your Ethernet Card of your PC and plug it into your laptop. That is just fine.

It still isn't working. I have all the firewalls disabled and it still isn't seeing anything. All it knows is that it is connected to something via the ethernet port but nothing is going either way.:angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom