MySQL - connecting from offline page

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooloovoo

Baseband Member
I am putting together a website for a company and part of that site is a 'Latest News' section. It is based on a MySQL database and accessed using php. I want ot put together a simple application for the employees of the company to use to put up messages. This sort of application should not be online with the website, but on there own computers, an offline page. I can connect to the database online, but when I run the site from my harddrive, it will not connect to the database, even though I have apache2, php4 and MySQL servers running on my pc.

Can anyone help my by giving guidence or website address as to how I can connect to a MySQL database from a webpage runnig offline on the local machine?

Thanks

this is rather confusing, you are using webserver, and still considering the offline method to fetch the database?

when its webserevr, means that you have to be on-line (either Intenet or Intranet), as PHP will execute queries via the Apache, and by making browser offline, you are like killing the application server and web server.

It does sound confusing, and im not sure if it is possible, but this is what I want to do.

The website has a 'Latest News' section where the employees can add information to. I wish to make a program which runs on their computers which can be used to add information to the MySQL database, and in turn to the 'Latest News' section. I know there are applications available to do this such as phpmyadmin, but this application needs to be very very simple, only giving the option to add to the 'Latest News'. I do not wish this application to be online with the site for security reasons, and also to prevent users getting confused when seeing 'Log on' links, thinking they must register.

Is this possible? At the moment I get a message saying it cannot connect to the mysql server.

PHP is application tier language, and it will definately not work in absence of webserver (apache in your case).

it happens in intranet as wll, you got to have a http server running (apache) to execute the PHP commands. (MySQL is though another story).

yes u can use MySQL on its own withough putting this thing on web server, but of course you'll be requiring the client interface (like made in VB, or similar like Oracle Forms) as they arent on-line based clients, but can communicate with database stand alone.

again repeating, PHP can only be executed in presence of web server, if there isnt any web server, means no execution, and also web server means ON-LINE / WORKING (weather its Intranet or Internet, both applicable)

I do have apache running and working correctly. The page works fine on the online webserver, but wont work when running on my local machines, while connected to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom