My FireFox Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
personally i see things the otherway around... i used to love opera.. but now I hate using any browser except firefox!

One of my favorite things about firefox is the fantastic extensions, such as tabbrowser preferences, adblock. I also find it to be a very slick package, especially in the full release. I always thought opera was fast but my firefox seems just as fast if not faster to me.

Personally I have never had the following problems that you experienced:

-When loading a page a thin black line appears over the status bar.(default theme) <--- Never ever had this problem

-the link gets "selected" wich looks ugly. <--- never noticed this

-Cursor is too wide, it covers thin carachters like comma's, I, :, ! etc. <--- never had a problem with this either
-restart required to apply certain settings like tabs and themes. <-- yeah that kinda sucks I will agree!

-Opens/scrolls to previously visited page/post on a forum instead of last page/last post. Emptying cache did not fix this. Happens on TF also. <-- be patient daniel san... it goes to the top of the page on mine then loads and then goes to last post... but it is still a wee bit annoying!

-very choppy auto-scroll (middle mouse-button) <--- not on my pc it isnt!!!

-When loading a page the scroll bar gets smaller and smaller and smaller, slowly depending on page size and connection speed. this is very annoying. in opera you can scroll down to the bottom even before the entire page has loaded. <--- huh?

-Very slow when using back/forward. In Opera its displayed instantly. <-- its instant on my computer

-You have to use the scroll-wheel slowly or it will delay <---nope never had this problem
-takes HOURS to start FF with lots of extensions installed. <--- not for me (but I do have an athlon 64)

-Downloading+Installing extensions. <- howis this a problem???

-Asks to save password or not, even though it can be specified on a form. <- stores the password browser side not cookie side, so even if you remove a cookie the password is still remembered... i think its a good feature personally!

-Styled scrollbars not supported? <-they are, you just have to enable them... though i hate styled scrollbars and make sure my skin overrides them!

Overall I would say both opera and firefox are great browsers... but personally I prefer firefox!

Thanks for your comments.

hygor said:

-When loading a page a thin black line appears over the status bar.(default theme) <--- Never ever had this problem

Look carefully, with the default theme.I don't know why I had this.
hygor said:

-the link gets "selected" wich looks ugly. <--- never noticed this
IE does almost the same sometimes. Like a small gray border around the clicked link.
hygor said:

-Cursor is too wide, it covers thin carachters like comma's, I, :, ! etc. <--- never had a problem with this either

I am using default cursors, but it was overlapping some characters :confused:
hygor said:

-very choppy auto-scroll (middle mouse-button) <--- not on my pc it isnt!!!

Must be my CPU. FF was faster with heavy pages. Both loading and scrolling, but Opera scrolled much smoother on "normal" pages. (I dunno on fast comps)
hygor said:

-When loading a page the scroll bar gets smaller and smaller and smaller, slowly depending on page size and connection speed. this is very annoying. in opera you can scroll down to the bottom even before the entire page has loaded. <--- huh?

I have noticed this on fast computer's, too. Try this page: http://3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592.jp/
hygor said:

-Very slow when using back/forward. In Opera its displayed instantly. <-- its instant on my computer

Not as instant as in Opera, especially not when going back to heavy pages. All gecko and IE browsers have this issue.
hygor said:

-You have to use the scroll-wheel slowly or it will delay <---nope never had this problem

Try to scroll it very fast and see if it starts scrolling instantly.
hygor said:

-Downloading+Installing extensions. <- howis this a problem???

Its both a downside and upside. In Opera you cannot, wich sucks, but you don't have to for a lot of features either, cause they are included.
hygor said:

-Asks to save password or not, even though it can be specified on a form. <- stores the password browser side not cookie side, so even if you remove a cookie the password is still remembered... i think its a good feature personally!

I guess this is more of a presonal preference. I will remove it.
hygor said:

-Styled scrollbars not supported? <-they are, you just have to enable them... though i hate styled scrollbars and make sure my skin overrides them!

Never seen that option. Extension? Can you post a scrnshot?

TheMajor said:

Never seen that option. Extension? Can you post a scrnshot?

you type about:config into the address bar and get the expert options... its somewhere in there!

TheMajor said:

-very choppy auto-scroll (middle mouse-button) <--- people with faster computers dont experience slow scrolling problems

-Huge filesize for FF setup. <-- what does this have to do with anything
-when loading a page the scroll bar gets smaller and smaller and smaller, slowly depending on page size and connection speed. this is very annoying. in opera you can scroll down to the bottom even before the entire page has loaded. <--- sort of irrelevant as well

-Very slow when using back/forward. In Opera its displayed instantly. <----- Maybe opera saves the previous pages to cache
-You have to use the scroll-wheel slowly or it will delay <---- same as first comment
-takes HOURS to start FF with lots of extensions installed. <---- same as first comment

r]

you should also add to the pros: FIREFOX IS FREE. No true supporter of Opera cracks Opera, unless your a hypocrite, then your argument was pointless. Overall Opera is good, but i prefer firefox

YourPrinter said:
does it really mattter if bill gates uses Opera instead of his own companies browser? Are we supposed to respect bill gates?

He isn't using FF, so I think it matters. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom