linux vs windows web hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally use Linux. Mainly because my host is cheaper with Linux. Theres no real difference to be honest.

look through a security log on any linux machine and you will wonder why you ever considered using windows. Half of the log will be taken up with windows exploits which have no effect on linux machines.

Obviously there are other things to consider such as whether you want to use ASP.NET and frontpage extensions within your website, in which case windows would make sense.

rookie1010 said:
Hello
Is it better to host a website using the linux or a Windows OS?
Linux its more secure and faster :) If you go the linux route try deiban

If you have to use windows to host use apache for your web server.

in what way is linux faster.

do you mean to say if i host my website on a linux server, the users would get a faster response.

also what are the featuers that i would not have if i go for a linux based hosting

e.g. as fitzjj mentioend front page extensions

if you go the linux route you cant use any of microsofts .NET technology because that is designed for windows. There is something called Mono that is supposed allow you to use .NET on linux or something, but i'm not really interested in that - if microsoft cant be arsed to make technology for everyone then i cant be arsed to use it.

As for front page extensions you would loose all credibility if you used them in your website anyway and they are one of the main security holes anyway.

Those are the only two things that i can think you wouldnt be able to use, but obviously there is the issue of have you ever used a linux based operating system before? If not there are going to be some things to learn along the way but you'll be glad you did and most linux distros make it very easy to get apache up and running.

rookie1010 said:
in what way is linux faster.

do you mean to say if i host my website on a linux server, the users would get a faster response.

also what are the featuers that i would not have if i go for a linux based hosting

e.g. as fitzjj mentioend front page extensions

Its less bloated.

..... Unless you go redhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom