Just got router slower speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokedizzy42

Solid State Member
i know this has been asked frequently but i just got a dlink router so i can share my internet connection with my 2 xboxs (i just going to be gaming on one the other is just shared with my pc so i can watch movies etc.) my tv running viera cast and my pc.
Im gettin very slow speed when using my router without the router connected only cable modem, i get these results from speedtest.net

please help me out i dont know much network wise so any help would be appreciated
thanks
also when i try to download a movie thru the cable modem i get up almost 2Mb a sec and with the router fastest ive seen it get to was arouns 300 kbps while its downloading i cant use the browser doesnt seem to load at all i get a timed out error than i have to stop the download and restart my modem and router so i can just get to the google website.

That is like over double my speed. That is not slow at all. So can you try and explain a bit better what the issue is?

Before the router you got speeds of 2Mb but now you only see 300 KBPS?

Have you gone to the router setup page and got everything hooked up right?

yea i see problems when trying to download torrents i really havent changed any of the settings
that came with the router.
Whenever i download a torrent from utorrent i use to get areound 2Mbps download without the router connected now that it is i havent seen it get above 300kbps .
When im trying to download it i cant do anything in the browser doesnt load pages, takes like 30 secs or more to get to google also i cant try to get on my xbox to play games it lags me out only when i have it downloading, i know i will see slower speeds when downloadin but this is terribly slow
i have also enable port forwarding and i didnt see any change in speed.
thanks for your help
that speed test is without the router connected i just ran another test with it connected got similar results but i wondering why all this slow down when trying to download try even on my xbox or viera cast just my computer connected and still see poor download speed when tryin to dload torrents.
heres the results with the router only my computer connected.

Welcome smokedizzy42 to the forums,

As far as your speed - some can only dream of this speed. My step-brother is paying for a T-1 line and only gets 1dwn and 1up (in US). There are some rules on your torrenting discussion.

o alright sorry about that
ill just unplug my router if i want faster speeds on downloading not much of a bother it work fine when not trying to dload stuff.
thanks

Set your modem as a pass-through/ethernet bridge and then forward the ports on your router.

Ive gone to my cable modems page and i cant find anything about bridging or passthrough
could you tell me how this would be done .
I also started to get slow downs when im not even downloading stuff .
thank you

Well, I have crawled all over Google but can't find any solid info on your modem other than it is an older model. Cisco bought out Scientific America in 2006 and has yet to merge the customer support, so I couldn't pull a manual for you.

I checked portforward,com to see if your model is listed but it's not. Looks like you are SOL on this front. honestly, you have a killer speed already. I just break 5 Mb/s on my Charter connection and it is the fastest connection I have ever had. So be happy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom