ISP and notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileyface

Beta member
Not only am I computer illiterate, I know nothing about notebooks or how they work. So please speak s-l-o-w-l-y when you answer.

I have a desktop with a ISP, of course. I am considering a laptop for travel. How does this work? How will I get on line?

[slow]
via wireless networks most of the time. Many hotels and coffee shops have wireless networks that you can use for free.

At home you can purchase a wireless router to get internet there.

Laptops can also be wired and in some instances you can do that as well.
[/slow]

Thanks, Hefemeister, I appreciate you speaking slowly, but this time maybe you should use sign language and speak a little louder. I'm still not clear on how it works. :embaressed: I haven't had time to read my "Computers for Idiots who Probably Will Not Understand 'Computers for Dummies' "

Do I have to pay for an ISP on the notebook? Will I use my same ISP? Can I get online if I'm sitting in the car?

At home you can get a wireless router (unless you already have one) and use your existing isp for your laptop as well.

Wireless-Home-Network-Setup.jpg

Note with this picture that you can have a wire from the router to your existing desktop.

On the road most hotels and coffee shops offer free wireless internet. Some may incur a fee to be used.

Sitting in your car you could get wireless if you are close enough to a free hotspot or you could buy a card for internet via a mobile phone company. this option will cost you a monthly fee

Oh, okay. Now I get it. :facepalm: I appreciate the visuals. You were a big help. You are a saint, Hefemeister. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom