IP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jujjaa

Beta member
Some years ago I used hacked passwords to go to adult websites. I know that now that it's been three years I won't get sued for it. No one would probably. But what I would like to know is that would the site even have the logs that have my IP address anymore now that it has been three years? If they do what is the usual time these sites save the logs?

I'm grateful for all answerers.

(This might not be the right place for the question,)

Hello,

They will save their records for up to 7 years. That is when the statute of limitations runs out on anyone being able to file a law suit. But that is of course only for USA. Other countries could have a different set of laws which could be longer.

Cheers,
Mak

You really shouldn't worry about it at all, considering to track your IP back to you would require the company to go back in their records to find IP's that illegally accessed the site (which is probably hundreds of thousands, if they even have the technology that notices illegal logins), then they would have to pick yours out of all those that were logged, then they would have to contact the ISP that the IP was logged from and ask for the information of the users with "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" on that very day (and chances are, your ISP will not divulge the information due to privacy policies most ISP have nowadays).

So, in short, you really have nothing to worry about unless you are just feeling extremely unlucky. :D

-Chase-

I know I have nothing to worry at all. But the statute of limitations. If the statute of limitation for fraud in one state is three years, would this mean that they delete the logs after three years? Or do they delete them more often because as I understand it, they don't sue people for fraudulent entry at all? And if they notice that the password is being used by two persons would they store that IP address longer in some other place than the logs? Or would it just be so that the password gets blacklisted and they don't get the information what was the IP that used the password, and if they want to know the IP they would have to search it from the logs?

I'm terribly sorry that the text is probably hard to follow. And thank you for both answerers.

Hello,

I am not sure why you are asking such questions. You already know you are not at risk so why bother asking?

IT doesnt matter how many different IP's log into a account at a site. You could be using a different computer. You could be at a firends house. You could have had your IP updated by your ISP. There are a million and one answers to why there can be multiple IP's for a single account. I know that i have at least 75-100 different IP's for this site alone. Cause i have used my IP, sisters, grandparents, not to mention the move i just had which changed my IP.

Plus if you did it legally you paid for the account how do they know if you shared it? They cant do anything i you did. It is a bought and paid for account and password. So there is nothign they can do unless they can first prove to a judge that the info was stolen to get a warrant for the surender of your address from teh IP address from your ISP.

Basically they wouldnt bother. They get hit with a million or more IP's every day. Why would they care about 1.

Cheers,
Mak

Thank you for your answer. But as I am a paranoid person I would like to have answers to my questions or I won't have any peace of mind. Nevertheless I'm very grateful for all answers.

Hello,

If you are so paranoid. Why would you use a hacked password in the first place? Plus i have already pretty much answered your questions.

They can keep the logs as long as they want. I know some places that have their logs from 2004. I know places that have their lgos back from when they started their website. Each site is unique as to what they do. We can answer cause a.) we dont know what website. b.) we dont know what their poliies are c.) we dont know what their admins do as far as tracking.

So as you see you cant really have a answer to your question cause we are not the sites web master. Sorry but you will never have the answers you want unless you contact that sites webmasters.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom