Internet working, but programs cannot access

nova3

Beta member
A few weeks ago I started having problems with Firefox not working. It would open, but gave a connection error. I uninstalled and reinstalled, but same error. Then my Eset Security started having virus signature update issue. I Atempted to get online with IE, but it failed to connect too. Used different computer to search for solutions. I am able to ping the internet addresses.

I am currently able to get online throught IE, however nothing else has access. Firefox gives me a blank page. I cannot install Chrome because updater won't connect. Virus and utility programs fail to update because they cannot connect. Tried to connect to my Steam accound, but it failed to connect also. Tried to run online scans, but they fail to update.

Installed and ran malwarebytes, but it could not update server. What is going on?

(This may have been answered by someone already somewhere.)

Have you checked your proxy settings to make sure there isn't one active that's not allowing you to connect?

Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections tab -> LAN Settings button -> make sure the 'use proxy' is unchecked.

I have checked the proxy and no success. I've even tried rebooting in safe mode with network. Anything I install I cannot update, because it seems to have it's permissions automatically disabled.
I have tried going back to previous restore points (going back months) and nothing changes. A friend suggested creating a new user, installing browers, then deleting current user, but I don't understand how that would help.
Any other suggestions

Last edited:
Because sometimes a user profile can become corrupt. Creating a new user profile, testing it to see if it works can sometimes solve weird issues. If it does work, then you can transfer over all of your data to the new user, and delete the old user.

Well, I attempted to create another account, but I get the same issue. I am only able to get IE9 working. Also, not sure if that has any bearing on things, but I have two folder: Program Files and Program Files (x86). Majority of my programs appear to be installed in Program Files (x86), including IE, media player and everything else I use.

In Program Files folder I have IE, media player, Eset and a few minor programs. I tested a few programs in each folder.

Progam Files(x86): IE gives a connection error. I tried to connect to media stores in media player and it failed to connect.

Program Files: IE connects. Media store opens in media player.

So far, these are the only two programs that will conncet to the internet and allowed to update.

As far as the others, they almost seem to be trying to connect to or through IE in the PFx86 folder. But I am not comp expert, so I can't say. Any thoughts anyone???

I have Eset internet security that controls my firewall protection and I have windows firewall on my comp as well. Eset appears to be managing firewall. I have even disabled Eset firewall with same results. Unless there is something I'm not seeing in the Eset and Windows firewall config that's causing problems.

Back
Top Bottom