Internet Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I phoned up my ISP and he made me do some pointless crap like disabling firewalls etc which made no difference, then this guy says well the cuase of the problem is that you have too many computers connected to one router, and I said we've had three pc's connected up to our router for the past 2 years. THen he says well I think the only sollution would be to upgrade your broadband package to 8mb. I was like yeah I can see thats going to solve everything.

Next problem was a virus, buuutt I decided to install Vista again to see what SP1 is like so for now...

no problems :D

Thanks for all the replies :)

also remember to...

1. make sure you have the dns server set to the rite address.
2. remember to clear your lookup table. or set your router to clear it every 10 mins or so.

by your lookup table, I obviously mean the dns lookup table (or dns cache, wateva)

you can set when it times out by modifying the ttl field or cache-max-ttl field. It's usually under a dns tab somewhere, or dns cache option. Basically if it's set to some massive value, it stores so many addresses that things start to slow down. So if you find it, just throttle it back a little.

what model router do you have? what firmware version? I'll see if I can find out if your router CAN :)

I think there's an option on your pc to set the ttl for the dns cache too...

My router is a belkin 54g four port router :p Here's a print screen from the settings page:

dns.jpg

Hmmm, doesn't seem like you router has that option after all. BUT, try this on your pc:

1. Start the Registry Editor
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Dnscache \ Parameters
3. From the Edit menu select New > DWORD value
4. Enter the name MaxCacheTtl to change the positive cache period or the name MaxNegativeCacheTtl to change the negative cache period
5. Double-click the new value, set it to the desired number of seconds, choosing Decimal as Base
6. To stop Windows XP from caching negative responses set the value of MaxNegativeCacheTtl to 0
7. Close the registry editor and flush the DNS cache for the changes to take effect
source: helpwithwindows

Thanks, i've done that. See what it does :)

EDIT: My problems back, I'm begenning to think it's my router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom