Internet Television Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

digital_ninja2k

Baseband Member
I've been reading around on the Internet recently for Internet based television distribution (as our area seems to be really remote for anything tech related and we can't get cable TV).

What I'm wondering is does anyone here get their television diet in a completely Internet based serving? And how do you get your content, through bitTorrent or some other means?

And while I'm on this subject I'd like to volunteer an address of my favorite, Internet-based 'television' studio; Revision3.com. A good portion of you I'm sure already know about this place, especially if you were a fan of the old school Tech Tv before G4 went in and killed it.

This studio is actually done by several of the old faces from Tech Tv including it's founder Kevin Rose and System/Teckzilla host Patrick Norton both of Screen Savers fame. Episodes are free and become available for download generally once a week.

Getting TV shows via bittorrent is illegal. Can not discuss that here.

There are a few things that are done via the net though.

Almost, but not quite. The commercials have been removed, which upsets the sponsors. For many shows, though, this is almost the only way to get them.

Since we don't have a regular TV, my wife and I have to stream the shows or acquire them.

Why is that illegal though?

Wouldn't it be just the same as if I Tivo'd the show and then sent it to a friend?
No. Tivo can not be used other than on the Tivo player. The stations still reserve the rights to them. Acquiring them over bit torrent violates the agreements with the TV stations and the deals they have worked out with the sponsors.

It is the same as if you got a movie. There are ways to get things off the Tivo but that is again violating the Terms of Service.

Joost

Joost - Free online TV - Comedy, cartoons, sports, music and more - Download today

That is one of hte exceptions cause they have agreements to run shows on their service. Just like NetFlicks has a agreement to run movies over the net. Any other way than something that has a legit agreement would be considered illegal.

What I'm wondering is does anyone here get their television diet in a completely Internet based serving?

That would be me! I have two televisions and one isnt even plugged in, the other is used only as a video phone. I watch all my TV over the internet. But even alot of internet television sites/players have sponsors and commercials. Either theyre legal or Burger King, Sears, and many other recognize that Content Sharing is going to happen one way or another and are just getting on the BandWagon early.

I get my TV fix from the internet almost exclusively unless i am watching a episode of BSG on the big screen down stairs.

I've been reading around on the Internet recently for Internet based television distribution (as our area seems to be really remote for anything tech related and we can't get cable TV).

What I'm wondering is does anyone here get their television diet in a completely Internet based serving? And how do you get your content, through bitTorrent or some other means?

And while I'm on this subject I'd like to volunteer an address of my favorite, Internet-based 'television' studio; Revision3.com. A good portion of you I'm sure already know about this place, especially if you were a fan of the old school Tech Tv before G4 went in and killed it.

This studio is actually done by several of the old faces from Tech Tv including it's founder Kevin Rose and System/Teckzilla host Patrick Norton both of Screen Savers fame. Episodes are free and become available for download generally once a week.

Thanks for the Revision3.com link. man it is great to see shows with Patrick and other old techtv people again. I really missed the old shows that Techtv used to have before G4 ruined it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom