Internet Explorer - cant connect to anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
Firefox and Chrome are working fine, but IE6 just says "IE cannot display this page". It says that for everything. Please advise?!

Firstly, upgrade to IE7/8. IE6 is old and full of security holes.. Might fix your problem right there.

my bad. it IS IE7.

i really dont know about a proxy. i certainly didnt set it up as such, ive just taken over this computer from someone else, and created a new user account, so i havent changed anything.

Check the settings of IE under Tools>Internet Options. See what they have setup.

OK, what am I looking for here? There are 3 different buttons labelled Setup, and thats just under the General tab. Some of the other tabs also have Setup buttons.

Mak?

btw since above message i did run the microsoft diagnostic tests. that involved a lotta restarts, going into safe mode, disabling startup programs, running IE w/o addons, and it STILL wont work!

interestingly enough IE works fine when i logon to the other user in the system.

the last step was to upgrade to IE8. it still doesnt work, tho firefox and chrome do, and ie8 works as the other user.

If it works under a different user go in that user account and check their settings and compare them to the other account. Are they the same? If not what is changed? If they are have you tried IPConfig release/renew? Have you tried IE with no add-ons? Have you tried to disable all add-ons? Have you tried to roll back to the earliest version of IE that you can?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom