Internet Explorer Can Affect Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Internet Explorer Can Affect Firefox

One would think that web browsers run independently of each other, that Google Chrome and Firefox or Firefox and Internet Explorer would not affect each other. Michael Horowitz just found out that Internet Explorer can affect Firefox on Windows XP. He lately changed the security level of Internet Explorer to high for some extra security and noticed from then on that Firefox would not download executable files anymore. He linked it first to the service pack download and installation but later found out that it was actually a consequence of setting Internet Explorer's Internet Zone setting to high.

I don't really find this hard to believe considering the fact that IE is basically built into the OS..so wouldn't that mean it would have some control over the OS as a whole too? seems that way to me at least

It isnt that. What happens is that when you set the settings to High you pretty much set the system to Protect Mode. Like if you ever run a Server based OS you will see that you cant go to any site in IE that you do not first add to the WhiteList.

This is pretty much what happens in XP. It is so old and the firewall is so basic that once you put it on high settings you put the system on protect mode and prevent the download of anything. It doesnt happen in Vista nor Win7. It is just XP with its generic firewall.

Didn't they upgrade the firewall in XP at one time?

I am sure, if it wasn't basically a dieing OS, they could put nearly everything from Vista/Win7 security wish into XP.

It isnt as simple as putting everything from Vista/Win7 backported. There is options within the Vista/Win7 security that is built into the OS that you cant just backport. It would require a Kernel update. They did update the firewall. They went from no firewall in XP and XP SP1 to a Firewall in XP SP2 that you could monitor or block outgoing traffic but not incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom