Internet dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJS77

Solid State Member
Once, when I tried to get on the internet, it wouldn't work. It would say that it was loading, but it would never finish. AIM wouldn't work either. When I called the cable company, they said that my connection was fine, but they would come look at it.

The next morning, the internet worked fine.

This has been happening on and off for the past couple of weeks. What is wrong?

It could be a couple of things!!!!
Your NIC card could be going bad
Or your cable modem could be going bad
Go ahead and try to ping your ip address
Start>run>cmd, press enter>type ipconfig/ all>type ping (your ip address) and press enter.
You be able to Send packets and recieve them.
Hopefully you won't get any lost packets..
HOpe this helps

if your using a nic card you can always try using usb and see if you have better luck that way.

also try powering off your modem for 15 minutes then turn it back on. let all the lights come back on and then turn on your computer.

If you have comcast, you may be experiencing DNS issues (I was off and on for a few months).

Way to check: Next time it does it, open your browser, and type in an IP address. http://216.239.39.99/ is Google, try that. If you can connect to that no problem, but cannot connect to http://google.com, it's probably DNS issues.

Try Verizons public DNS settings: 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2

KJS77 said:
Once, when I tried to get on the internet, it wouldn't work. It would say that it was loading, but it would never finish. AIM wouldn't work either. When I called the cable company, they said that my connection was fine, but they would come look at it.

The next morning, the internet worked fine.

This has been happening on and off for the past couple of weeks. What is wrong?

First, try doing the normal browser maintenance, clear cache, cookies, default browser settings, no proxy etc. Check for spyware as well. If that doesn't clear up the issue then you may want to do a little probative investigating on your isp's connection.

Try running a tracert to a webiste through the command prompt. IE, tracert www.msn.com

Keep note of the first 5 to 6 reply addresses, noting the ip address, domain name (your isp)and the ms times. If, on your isp's network, you get higher than 80ms(broadband) on any hop or an "*" then call up your isp and suggest slow browsing/intermittent connection.

Also, try runing a tracert via IP address to the same site, to see if the results vary. Sometimes an isp's resolver cache can get a little "confused" about certain ip addresses.

It sounds mostly like a bad filter/drop on the connector outside your house. If the filter is lower frequency, or possibly corroded/damaged, it can result in the conditions you experience. It could possibly be a lower grade cable from the pole to your house as well.

Did they run signal tests through the lines when they came out to your house? If so, what did they say about the line latency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom