internet connection moving extremely slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jilan

Baseband Member
hey everyone, my internet connection is moving extremely slow, and its broadband......it moves from 3kb/s to 20kb/s, but its most likely to move 5kb/s at times or less on limewire, and wen i download stuff on the internet, it moves like 27kb/s, while it should be moving more, why is that?

Many sites put a cap on the amount of bandwidth that can be used for the site's servers. Even if you have the fastest connection in the world, you'll still download at whatever rate the site has set for the bandwith limit.

Try doing a speed test on CNET.com or something. Otherwise, call your ISP and ask them whats up. When my fixed wireless was giving 1 mbps, my speeds used to drop to around 25 KB/sec downloads when the caching server crashed. Maybe your ISP is having some problems such as that. How is your web browsing?

Maybe try running a tracert command against your network to see if you have any bad hops or signal loss. If you find you have any bad hops on your ISP's network, typically over 20ms for broadband, they will look at the issue and probably put a new drop on your connection to improve performance.

~Fawks

To run a tracert command, you open your command prompt. To do this, click start , then run. Type in cmd for win2k or win xp, or command for Win9x or ME.
At the cursor, type in tracert www.google.com. What you want to look for are the first four or five lines of hops. Here's what I see when I run a tracert against google:

Tracing route to www.google.akadns.net [64.x.x.x] over a maximum of 30 hops
1 6ms 5ms 8ms 24.x.x.x
2 7ms 7ms 8ms (servername) 64.x.x.x
3 6ms 8ms 9ms (servername) 66.x.x.x

The list goes on and on. What you need to look for, is where I put the (servername) This name will be your ISP's servers. You need to follow those as far down the list as they go, could be up to the 8th hop. If they go over 20ms at all, or you see a * then you have a bad connection, or intermittent as they call it. At that point you should contact your ISP.
And to contact your ISP, you call the people who provide you with Internet service.

~Fawks

my internet is supported by telstra broadband, i contact them?
ahh, i've tried that thing u told me to do, i came up with 30 hops
each one is in a row. each row has 3 ''*'' then sayin request has timed out. then it at the bottom it says trace completed. wat does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom